• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A. Verner pattern??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJ Longbeard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking to do a Verner style bucks co. rifle. Does anyone know where I may find a full size drawing of this style LR or does anyone have a drawing they are willing to sell. I don't have any access to these old guns and haven't found any patterns of this style thourgh the usual suppliers. You might say why not do a build of a style I have more access to and make it easier on myself?? I don't seem to do anything easy!!
Thanks Ed :idunno: :confused:

Longbeard, you'll probably need to make your own pattern. The first thing you need is a good photo and a known measurement (lock plate, butt plate, etc).

Next you can use math to figure the scale and use that to help make a full size plan (eg. lock plate measures 5", on the photo its 2.500" so 1" would equal .500" (1/2"). Or you can blow up the photo using a copy machine that enlarges in 1 degree increments. The problem with the copy machine is that they tend to stretch one deminsion more than the other so the resulting enlargement can be off.

Here's what I did to make a Shuler Bucks County pattern. First off, a photo in RCA vol.1 was penciled onto tracing paper and then onto white paper. The outline was scanned w/ the computer and then loaded into "Photoshop" and enlarged until the buttplate vertical dim. given in RCA 1 was achieved. Very minor adjustments to the drops were made for a longer LOP and by the way...a length of the bbl top was traced and extended for a reference line. Have made 6 BCs plus the present build using this pattern and not all were Shuler styles but some were by the unknown BC makers and this same pattern was used but w/ some temporary changes.. RCA vol. 1 has some very useable photos of a Verner LR......Fred

Thanks Fred and ehoff for the advice on making up these patterns . I'll keep adding post as I progress with this build. I be starting this coming month. Thanks again Ed :bow: :bow:

I have started with photos for many blueprints I have made. Almost none of them have been rifles but the same principal applies. I do CAD work so I have access to autocad and that is what I use. I insert the photo and scale it to match a known dimension. Then you can either plot the photo, draw on top of it and plot the drawing or both.
I have been wanting to do some plans for a rifle for some time now. If you want me to draw something up all I need is someone to email me an image file and some reference dimensions. And as long as we are at it I'd love to have some data and an image of the "Edward Marshall" style for myself.

Back