• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Names for the oblong knife?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been Googling several variations trying to find other names for this unusual knife, which is essentially a very long draw knife with a handle on one end and the other shaped into a hook that fits into an eye on the working surface. This gives the user great leverage to shape wood, as shown in this YouTube clip also posted under the historical clothing "wood shoe" thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt5BLJhiMO0

Anyone have a source for these knives, or alternate names for them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Google up "stock knife". Lots of discussion about them and questions on availability. Umbrella making, shoe making, spoon making, and more. Here is the only one I bothered to open.

:bow: Another outstanding thread with fantastic You Tube sections---that just blows your mind away when you see these "Bodgers" using tools as that bow lathe. Watching that just blows me away, I have got to build me one of those and give it a whack. Too bad it's all in the UK and not for us Colonials to able to watch and drool, or take a workshop to try and learn.I built a shaving stool a few years back---however it was way too modern and didn't give me the feel for it. My daughter turned a few items at age 15-16 at a camp on a bow lathe and that was impressive. I also got a great kick out of the use of the broad axe, as I have seen those used in boat building many years ago. Wow and we are so smug about our computer controlled machining. Thanks for the thread---I'm going to have so much fun following those web sites for more information. :hatsoff: "Doc"

Doc: There really is something very ancient inside us that appreciates the sight and sound of very sharp edges shaping wood, isn't there? I am sure that bodgers once roamed Colonial America, turning green wood into chairs and other useful items with nothing but leg and twig power.

Regarding the stock knife, I am tempted to reshape a drawknife in my charcoal forge to approximate the tool ...

Doc; If your interested in building and or seeing one of those pole lathes in action right here in the colonies, google "AAW Pole lathe". Members of the American Association of Woodturners (AAW) have many demonstrators around the country that use them. Our AAW club here in Pensacola has a spring pole lathe that we demonstrate at historic days here. The kids love to pump the lathe which gives the demonstrators a break. Good luck.
OB

Back