• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Price Check-Pedersoli SxS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucktales

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Came across one in 12ga. with choke tubes.
Condition is VG to excellent. Ramrod is a cheesy flexy synthetic type. Nice walnut stock. Doesn't look like it was fired much, if at all. Bores are clean. Sideplates are silver colored, not blued. Serial # starts with a "K", if that means anything.
Guy is asking $300. Opinions? Are the choke tubes a P.I.A.?
Thanks in advance. :v

That is a good buy if it is in good shape. I did not want one with choke tubes, but for $300.00 I would take it. My sxs is not choked.They run $450-$600 around here. Mark

Thanks, Mark.
Right now the choke tubes are scaring me away. Don't know much about them in a BP gun. :idunno:

I don't have any experience with tubes in BP guns but do have some with supository guns. Assuming they are installed and fit properly they should pose no trouble. Just pull them and clean and lubricate the threads after shooting.

I'm wondering if they need to be removed for loading or an OP wad and over shot card will pass thru. I use them in a modern gun but just not familiar with them in a BP scenario, as my existing smoothbore is jugged.

For that money and if it fitted me I would buy it!

Don't worry about the tubes when it comes to loading, just use cards between the powder and shot. A few sent past the tube side ways with the finger will soon turn the correct way with the rammer. It was never a problem with the 10g peder I had.

Brits.

Guess I'd be put off by the choke tubes. Just doesn't seem right. I have the Pedersoli in a 12ga SXS and I really like the gun. It's pretty enjoyable. I'm taking it partridge huntin' next season.

giz

Britsmoothy said:
For that money and if it fitted me I would buy it!

Don't worry about the tubes when it comes to loading, just use cards between the powder and shot. A few sent past the tube side ways with the finger will soon turn the correct way with the rammer. It was never a problem with the 10g peder I had.

Brits.

I second what Brit said--Will you be shooting lead or steel?..I found when shooting steel the less choke the better..Due to the stiff protective shot cups. The choke was a non issue..its the shoulder at the bottom of the choke that might give you issues. Have not patterned any lead through my 10 ga. DBL.

Well, the seller ended up taking an offer much less than the original asking price. So, it followed me home.
Bore light and some patches showed that it was fired very little ,if at all. Wood is excellent with only a very small handling ding in the forend. Very small amount of surface rust at one end of the buttplate, where it might have been stored standing up.
Choke tubes are full and mod and came out very easily.
My bad, sideplates are not silver, but nice case colored as well as the hammers. Overall, almost new condition and I could not pass it by. Looks like I have some patterning work come Springtime.
Not really thrilled by the choke tubes, but I may change my mind when I shoot it. They may work out just fine.

And I'll be shooting lead.

IMG_6640.jpg

IMG_6641.jpg
:wink: :wink:

If you were able to get it less than $300 it just seems like a situation where you just had to buy it. If you end up with buyer's remorse, send me a PT and I'll buy it from you. I'm in Springfield, MA. Best Regards - Marc

Neat, looks just like mine sans the checkering and mine was cylinder in both barrels.

A good engineering type could relieve the chokes some if they are to tight for your liking.

The bores will be good, they are chromed.

Of all four Pedersoli shotguns I have owned the nipple hole is way to small and can cause missfires. I allways opened them up to .040" (1mm) and never looked back.

Brits.
Brits.

I was told mossberg chokes will fit. :idunno: The only used one around here is 500. You stole that one! :thumbsup: Larry Wv

Pedersoli makes a great gun. Yours was a very good deal. I know that I really have to clean the snot out of mine to get it really clean. The addition of the Choke tubes would add another dimension to cleaning the gun.

But it your like me...I actually enjoy cleaning chores with the BP guns and find it relaxing. So in the end, it's not a big deal. :wink:

Try about 70-80 grs of ffG, a powder card, shot wad, about a ounce and an eight of shot, and a overshot card. Mine patterns nicely with those combinations.

giz

Will do giz. :thumbsup:
Just need some warm weather.
I will also look into mossberg tubes. My Remchoke wrench took them out without a problem .

They really are a neat gun. They are fairly lively and the ignition on mine is very fast. You'll do well with this gun... :wink:

SXS004.jpg

giz

My pedersoli sxs patterns well using one over powder fiber wad and a newspaper shot cartridge. It is modified/full ( I Think )

Because these are chrome lined barrels...I've always wanted to experiment with plastic hulls in mine. My gun is Improved/Modified. I think I could get another 5-10 yards of knock down power on ducks with that type of load.

giz

Buck Tales--You will enjoy your new Double!
Check Cabela's Bargin Cave if you ever get to one of their stores..I have found spare choke tubes there around 5 bucks. Open up the nipple holes or use musket cap nipples.

Shot over water decoys

32-35 yards -#2 Hevi-shot Sept. 2009
IMG_0239.jpg

Worst case is just replace choke tubes with modified and/or cylinder bore. So if bird hunting you spread the pattern out but can compensate with 1.25 - 1.5 oz loads to maintain pattern density.

Mine is w/o choke tubes--and I paid $450 for it along with some acc's and lead shot, so you got a good deal!

Dave

Back