• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What gun would you.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this reminded me of the only time I was unarmed in the Uintas. Dumb. That once of only having a plastic flashlight was more than enough. From then on I carried my momma's 357. I'd want something short and strong, capable of redirecting an opponent's intentions. If you were hauling around three foot of .62 smoothbore barrel then another six inches or so back at the hide would be nice.

Curly James said:
Will the French Maid be walkin' herself or do I have to carry her? If I have to carry her that may limit how much other gear I can pack. Even if she is a petite lil' thing she'll likely squirm some while being toted.

I think a horse would be needed...Heck, most on here wouldn't be able to do that French Maid any good anyway... :grin:

OK, in all seriousness: Survival skills with snares and traps made from wire were completely omitted from my adolescent days learning woodsman lore. I know, it's weird and a mystery to me, too. Anyway, can any of you guys reccommend a good basic survival guide, if possible preferably for northeastern woodlands? I'd appreciate it greatly. Now that I'm 55 I'm trying to fill in what I missed at 15 (no, the french maid was NOT missed, and I didn't need no stinkin' snares!) Many Thanks - Marc

I think 3-4 traps and .50 flint would make a good combination. Grizzlies don't climb trees but i do.

hanshi said:
I think 3-4 traps and .50 flint would make a good combination. Grizzlies don't climb trees but i do.

Reminds me of a story related to me by the now retired FW&P biologist for this county.
He was out hiking with his then wife probably 30 years ago. They chanced upon a Gbear eating grass in a meadow 100 yards or so across.
He looked the situation over and decided the bear was far enough away that he could get his wife and himself up a tree if he headed there way so they watched the bear for awhile. As they watched the wind did one of its little shift-eddy things it likes to do in the mountains.
In an instant the bear was going into the trees on the far side of the clearing. He told me that had the bear come TOWARD them at that speed there would have been no time to do anything but stand with their mouths gaped open.
Also if the tree has limbs that allow you to climb easily the Gbear can likely climb it as well.
Better to try and bluff the bear, it does often work. This from a guy who has studied them for decades, Doug Peacock, who I have met and talked with several times. Run, climb etc big mistake. Make yourself as big/tall as you can and stand your ground and hope you can pull it off.
They (or a black bear for that matter) are just too incredibly fast and strong to try to out run etc.
Dan

It depends a good deal on where you are and the time of year. If you are in the Rocky Mtns. and its winter bears are not likely a problem. The winter weather will kill you anyway. If its summer in the Mtns. you may have problems with lions or bears. Most of the time you will have a pretty good chance of making it. :thumbsup: If you have a .54 Cal. rifle and of course ingnore game laws you stand a chance. :hmm:

Very interesting story. Bears have always been a very special interest for me. My "spirit guide" is a bear! :thumbsup:

Yep, even with a 100 yd head start wouldn't let you get up a tree if Mr. Bear truly seeks parlay. I really don't think I have the nerve to "bluff" Mr. G. Let's see, now: I make myself as large and frightening as possible-all five feet four & one half inches of me. Mr. Griz: 9-10 feet with 6" claws and a mouth like a manhole ringed with spikes...hmmm, he'll call my bluff.

Seriously, avoidance is best, of course, but encounters do happen. But, HEY! You gotta die of something! :rotf: :rotf:

Your right, Ole B'rer Bear ain't somebody to mess around with. Some day I'll relate the story of the "Great Alaskan Bear Drive".

Jac S. Muell

Guess I will be the odd ball. My choice is a .32 and plenty of balls and powder. Take my chances on the bears for 3 months. Alot of places don't have many or any bears. Prob take a gold pan may as well make some money or cook all the game that pocket full of round balls kills. :) Larry Wv

I escaped the wrath of a GBear on Baronoff island in 1975 with a lowly gallon tin pail half full of Huckleberries,when he Woofed and the willows movement indicated he was about 10 yds away and headed my way the legs went into overdrive down the mountain back to the boat, I tossed the bucket of berries behind me as I started to run, I can only assume that the berries were more flavorfull than he thought I would have been,last time I picked berries on that Island without a gun over my shoulder,damn near lost my taste for Huckleberry pie.

:rotf: It's a good thing Mr. G. Bear didn't say
"tg, you're my huckleberry"

Jac S. Muell

p.s The incident I was referring to happend on Admiralty Island.

JSM

So it begs the question, if you were thrown into the same situation which flintlock would you take. What, or if, would you take in your possibles bag to support your flintlock.

Pump .22 LR if I had time to plan ahead. :wink:

I'd take my .54 rifle as I am familiar with it and know I can clonk small game in the head at close range or larger game farther out.

Two good knives, a hatchet, firemaking supplies, as many wool blankets as I could gather and a spool of bailing twine.

Oh, and three cases of MREs. :rotf:

No doubt having a good weapon will help with survival in the wilderness but, I just finished a book called PIONEERS OF THE BLACK HILLS or GORDON'S STOCKADE PARTY OF 1874 a reprinting of David Aken's original book as written in 1875.

He was among the first non-military white men that went into the Black Hills, along with 27 others.

Although there was an abundance of deer, elk and even Bighorns, after 6 months they were out of provisions (they took 4 wagon loads with them) and he was the first to admit that although there was a lot of game and a lack of ammunition was not a problem there is no way they could have stayed longer.

I enjoy these topics about, "What would you take..." but in reality its a tough life out there even when equipped with the best equipment.

OK, my turn to throw out some scattered thoughts.

As has been mentioned, a bottle of multivitamins wouldn't be a bad addition to the medicine kit.

I tend to favor carrying a few fixed and maybe folding knives of moderate size, and using the hatchet or light axe for the heavier stuff, plus a bow-saw or pull-to-cut saw (or just the blades).

A bug-proof tent that one could carry would not be period correct, but it might be really desirable in some locations.

In addition to the snare fixin's, I'd think about bring some net or netting for taking birds, fish and/or small game, unless I could make decent cordage and netting from available "local" materials, wherever we're talking about getting plunked down. I'm not currently familiar enough with steel traps to know what, if any, might be worthwhile bringing in which circumstances.

For reference materials, as well as a good land/water/air trapping reference, a good survival reference for the locale including the most comprehensive possible edible-plants section, because most hunter-gatherers got more calories form gathering than hunting. Of course, one might think about high-grading out the appropriate chapters from several books and discarding any inapplicable bits to save weight. (These are the only sorts of circumstances where I could conscience cutting up books!)

For the firelock in bear country, it'd be a double of reasonable caliber. I agree that avoidance is by far the best policy, but things occasionally go wrong. A double gives a better chance that at least one lock would be working whether or not I'm carrying the right spare parts, and if both are working, then I can keep one barrel loaded with ball, no matter what else I'm doing. I'd be carrying mostly hardened ball with some #5 shot for occasional flock-shooting. I'm not convinced of the utility of buckshot in these situations. The intention is is to hunt as little as possible - remembering that Native Americans snared deer as well as hunting them.

If I had to take one of my current guns, it's be my 16ga double, naturally, but if I could choose a new one, it's be a strongly-built cape gun, with both barrels in 24bore, or possibly 28bore, in a compromise between power and the weight of gun and ammunition. The dimensions of the rifle and smoothbore barrels would be chosen so they would use the same ball/patch/cartridge combinations, and they would be regulated at likely 50yd with a moderate load somewhere in the 2.3/4 - 3.1/2dr range. I'd also try to find a lower-power hunting load that shot to the sights at some usable range, to conserve powder and maybe recover some of these hard balls for recasting or even reuse. The primary sights would be fairly low British express type, with a flip-up leaf with a notch, for the rifle barrel only and at a decent hunting zero, something like 80-110yds, depending on the trajectory of the chosen load. There might be a second leaf for something like 120-150yds, although it seems improbable that that sort of range would be needed or even useful in this scenario (I just like these sorts of things, in addition to just knowing my trajectory and holds for longer ranges).

I doubt that one could stay at one location for three months without straining or exhausting local resources, so I'd expect to have to have the whole kit portable enough to move camp with some frequency, although the rules might allow for caching at the rendezvous/pick-up site, and restocking when needed.

This is far from a comprehensive plan and equipage, but it's as far as I've gotten. Thanks for setting out the scenario. I'm starting to get the hankering for a cape gun of some sort, although the details may wind up different.

Regards,
Joel

I used to solo backpack and survival backpack just to test my skills & abilities. Had a few charming experiences with bears and found---believe it or not---my best deterrence was my cooking gear... Pot and pan banged together makes a hell of a racket when bear and man are a few years away from each other. I don't see 3 months as such a problem and with fishing gear and gun, berries and edible leaves---food is available. My girlfriend knows a lot of edible wild plants and has been teaching me this skill and I highly recommend it. The original post said Grizzly Bears are present so that is why I stay with the 62 caliber smoothie flintlock preferably in double barrel but I'll take a single too. One of the key elements would be eating what you shot and if you store meat, you must store it so that you do not bring grizzly to YOU. I once did a longer term survival scenario and while I lost a few pounds I had no problem eating every day. I brought nothing with me but a few tea bags (food supplies that is). In those days I brought a little twenty two single shot lil' scout... Crazy some would say but I packed really light and it all worked out.

Latest posts

Back