• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock accessories?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Lintemuth

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have ordered my first flintlock rifle, a Lymans Great Plains rifle. I have the accessories to shoot percussion rifles and want to have everything I need to shoot the flintlock when it arrives. I have started a list that includes a vent pick, priming flask, and flints. What should I add to the list?

Flint knapper, screwdriver (make sure it fits cock screw), flint wrap (leather or lead, see previous posts), pan brush (old toothbrush will work)

Instead of worrying about all the things you need to have I would think you might need to learn basic flint knapping skills. How to place the flint in the jaws and how a flinter works. Since you are familiar with the percussion cap rifles you will have an edge up. The flinters seem to have a way of showing you that as soon as you think you got it all dialed in you will quickly be shown you don't. Afterall it's not the end, it's the journey. I always try and open the ears and close the mouth when I get around the guys at the shoots and the rezndevous and hope to never come off as a know it all on these forums because I sure don't and don't ever want to be. I'm sure you'll do fine. Get out there and make mistakes and smoke. You won't regret it.... :thumbsup:

There are different opinions re the use of lead vs leather for holding the flint as a search of Forum topics will reveal. :wink:

If you chose to go with lead, you can simply flatten a lead roundball with a hammer & trim the resulting sheet lead to size with nippers or even heavy scissors.

For priming, there are also different opinions re the use of 4f vs the same powder as the main charge - see more forum debate :wink:

If you want to try using the same powder for both prime & main charge, a priming horn is not needed.

In humid conditions, a rag to wipe fouling out of the pan is a good idea.

For cleaning, a supply of round toothpicks to seal the vent when scrubbing the barrel.

I find flintlocks very satisfying & often wear a smile when shooting them............ :grin:

all good advice. The rag for wiping the pan should also be used to wipe the edge of the flint. A greasy mix can build up there, and interfere with the spark...enjoy..Hank

I'd throw in a round toothpick or small feather into the patchbox or shooting bag...When cleaning my flinters, I put the toothpick in the touch hole and pour water or rubbing alcohol down the barrel...Let it sit a few minutes, pour out and dry and lube the barrel...Repeat if necessary...

Blackpowder is about 50% solid after you shot, by cleaning this way you pour most of theis fouling out of the barrel...

My GPR .54 cal came with a sawn flint already installed and it sparked fairly well right out of the box. I don’t like sawn flints but it will get you going. Get some hand knapped flints soon. I would use 4f to prime at first. You will learn as we all have and decide what works best for you. Make sure there is NO SHIPPING OIL anywhere.

muth said:
Track of the Wolf has some flints they recommend for lyman rifles. Would that be a good place to start?

IMO, yes, that's where I would go first for flints. The Tom Fuller English flints are excellent and I think they have a size for the Lyman.

A man named Richard Pierce, from MO, sells nice flints too. Search the Flintlock Forum and I think you will find an email address for him.

Have fun

You are likely to want to remove your lock when cleaning, so in addition to a screwdriver that fits your cock to tighten the jaws on the flint, you may need a different screwdriver to remove lock bolts. They may not be the same. Good smoke, Ron in FL

Back