• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stroh Smoothrifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronrryan

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am preparing to shoot my new Roy Stroh .54 Smoothrifle. Plan to start with 55 gr 3F, spit ticking or wonderlube ticking, probably 15 or 18 thou, and a 530 ball. Appreciate suggestions as to load. See pix if they come thru. Thanks, Ron Link

Working on the pix thing, I got them as far as Photobucket and am trying to getem the rest of the way. Hard to do with my quill pen. Ron Link

Not sure what I did, exactly, but if you click on the LINK in the SECOND post the pix come up. Thanks, Ron

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you'll need to send that here to me for inspection before you can use it... :grin:

Beautiful looking piece for sure !
:thumbsup:

StrohRifle2010_001-1.jpg

StrohRifle2010_007.jpg

StrohRifle2010_006.jpg

StrohRifle2010_004-1.jpg

I like that! Roy said I would! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: very nice!!

he does a hellava job!! ART! Good fer you! now shoot it! :haha:

ronrryan said:
"...15 or 18 thou, and a 530 ball..."

Ron, I just realized I didn't comment on the load.
Remember in a smoothbore there's nowhere for the excess patching to go and sometimes the PRB combo normally used in a typical .54cal rifle sometimes won't fit in a .54cal smoothbore.

I almost had to pound on my short starter to get Hornady .530's and .015" patches into the muzzle of a GM .54cal smoothbore...and then they were so tight all the lube got blanched out of the cloth where it contacted the bore walls.

Ended up switching to Hornady .520's instead and could use .018" patches...still snug and requires a firm rap on a short starter but more normal and very accurate.

So if you have a ball puller attachment for your ramrod (or a CO2 discharger) it wouldn't hurt to try starting PRB combos right there in your garage before you get up to the range and find things might not even fit.

Post from Roundball is right on.

Post from Mike Brooks and RC are too...Roy is definately turning out some beautiful guns.

Very nice Roy!...That grain will really pop when you get it out in the sun! .....................That's it! Now I have to get a real Job!.... Enjoy your new toy !... send us a report when you get a load worked up!

Good morning Very Nice ! It would make my right proud to carry that about the woods.
+1 on the patch warning. If there is a "snug" spot down that barrel you may end up with a real tight logged ball. Best to start out somewhat loose fit while you fire those first rounds. You can always go tighter. I sure learned the hard way years ago. And after you fire that first shot there is gonna be some extra resistance.
BUT shoot it. They have little value just hanging about.

I can't really comment on the load, but based on the two long guns I bought from Roy, you're gonna absolutely love it. The man does great work. (I can hardly bring myself to shoot anything else!)

Beautiful gun. :thumbsup:

Back