• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40 round ball mould???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hud

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does any one know where you can get a .400 round ball mould. My Uncle had some cast balls that were .400, and my Vincent I just finished seems to like a .400 round ball with a .018 pillow ticking patch. I had a hard time wanting to use them, as I am use to using an under sized ball. But this rifle loves it. By the way, it is a .40 cal Green Mountain barrel.

I have a Lee double cavity in .400. I got it from John's. I will try to look up the contact info from the other computer, but the wife may have purged it. Will also try the Rolodex at work.

You might contact Lee -- they run these in limited quantities at times.

I shot these from a Green Mtn barrel and they were accurate, but they were also very hard to pound in. I was tired of beating myself and my gun too much. I went back to my od .395 mould.

YMHS,
CrackStock

Hud
If you can't find one, look on ebay. I've picked up a few older discontinued molds there.

I think Dixie Gun Works makes a mold to a requested size.Check the site or the catalog if you have one. DALE

Yep, Dixie offers both their brass "pouch style" mold and their hair iron molds in .40 . Now, I have only used their hair iron style mold. I have one in .660 . I must say that mine is pretty rough. Balls cast from it shoot well, but they are by no means smooth. They have rings around them from the cherry used in cutting the mold cavity.
Dixie does carry the Lyman mold blocks in .400 though.
WJ

I have a Dixie bag mould and it throws a ball that looks like a turnip. It was so sorry that I just use it for display.

Might need to shoot a few just for grins someday though. Hmmm -- maybe this weekend.

YMHS,
CrackStock

Thanks for the info, I'll look those up. I did just find out that TOTW sell cast balls in .400 :D Thats great news seein how I'm not to up on the idea of casting my own rounds. I don't know if it is uncommon or not, but this load loads just as easily as a .395 ball and a .018 patch, I do run a wet patch after every shot though... :hmm:

Hud,
You can get double cavity .400 or .405 mould from Rapine, they will run you about $70 with handles. I don't have their number but if you're interest PM me, and I will do some looking for you. I shoot .405 out of my target rifle. $70 is a lot of money to drop on mold, but in the long run it's cheaper than buying them

SP

LEE also makes a .40 round ball mold. Single cavity models run from $17-$20 with the handles. Very inexpensive and they work well. I see these stocked at The Possibleshop online.
Casting balls is not difficult at all and is a good way to radically reduce the cost of shooting. In .40 caliber, it would reduce the price per ball from $7.00 per hundred to around $1.50 per hundred (could be even less, depending on the price of your lead source).
WJ

Thanks for the info again. Its not really the idea of casting my own rounds that deters me, it is the time thing :shake: Being an avid fly fisherman, muzzleloader builder, wood worker,an archery hunter, muzzleloader hunter, and golfer, not to mention I am not retired yet and have to work 50 hrs a week :cry: takes up alot of time, Oh I forgot to mention that I'm also married :hmm: er uh I think I am anyway...

Its not really the idea of casting my own rounds that deters me, it is the time thing
Hmmmmmmmmmmm......I cast up forty .660 balls last Saturday after I returned from the range. I think it took me about 1/2 hour including the time waiting for the lead to melt in the pot. The .660's took me a little extra time because that mold has no attached sprue cutter. I have to cut those sprues separately.
I understand how time can be tight. I work an engineering job full time, I have a side business manufacturing slot car tires which takes up at least 20 hours a week, I sing & play guitar in a blues band which demands practice time and gigs, I race slot cars, and I have a wife & son who say they need some of my attention now and then, etc etc etc. Time is tight.
Casting roundballs takes very little time, it's relaxing, and it can be done while listening to TV or some tunes.
Seriously, I can cast 100 .50 balls in the less time than it takes me to get in the Jeep, drive to the nearest Walmart in my city, convince Gomer behind the counter that I really do not want Maxi-Balls, wait in line to pay for them, then drive home again......and I can cast them while I am sitting in my underwear drinking a cold Tecate!!:D :D
WJ

and I can cast them while I am sitting in my underwear drinking a cold Tecate!!
WJ
Better hope you never get a lead splash or that will probably be the last time you do that. Depending on how much, and where it splashes, it may be the last time for something more important too. ::

Jack,

I got just a little lead splattered on my leg once. I wear plenty all cotton clothes when I cast now.

As to the part about not wanting to deal with the lines and salespeople, you are right on the money.

YMHS,
CrackStock

Thanks for the info again. Its not really the idea of casting my own rounds that deters me, it is the time thing :shake: Being an avid fly fisherman, muzzleloader builder, wood worker,an archery hunter, muzzleloader hunter, and golfer, not to mention I am not retired yet and have to work 50 hrs a week :cry: takes up alot of time, Oh I forgot to mention that I'm also married :hmm: er uh I think I am anyway...

get a couple more things going and you'll be in my range

Well then combine it with wingshooting. When your partner yells Fore, you yell Pull, and cut loose at the ball with your smoothbore. :crackup:

I got just a little lead splattered on my leg once. I wear plenty all cotton clothes when I cast now.
It was a joke folks :: I don't really cast roundballs in my underwear. Just pointing out that I don't have to get dressed to go out in public when I need some.
Although I do tend to have a cold bottle of Tecate handy. And before I get 20 replies about casting balls while drunk, one cold bottle of beer does not a drunkard make ::.
WJ

Back