• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Narragansett Armes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hentird

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Windwalker had asked if these people had kept to their promise date and the guality of there guns.I ordered one on 4/30/04 and not seen it yet.Another on6/10/04and not seen jet.Another I put a deposit on about 3 months ago and haven't got a receipt yet.Guality ? haven't seen yet,only the ones that keep coming up on TOW.. Has anyone else had similar problems? Thankyou.

just went there and read all and all i can say is wow....maybe its one thing to be busy but at least commincate with your clinets....it looks like a lot of not so good things were said :m2c:..................bob

I had the same trouble with the rifle shoppe. ::I did finialy get it straightened out and told him if he should answer his phone. I don't understand it. All the money you pay up front for a weapon sight unseen and then they don't have someone that can answer the phone :curse:

I can't seem to find the post. please give some info undr which catagory it is found.thankyou,tom

A couple of years ago I ordered an early Virginia from them--was told it would take about six months, but it was ready in about 4 1/2 months. The quality? The ramrod was broken when I received it--it had been crooked. The Chambers lock had a horrendous trigger pull and would sometimes be hard to catch the halfcock notch--something I fixed in the dark in a couple of minutes with a file--the sear still had little projections on the sides. Overall, I am well pleased with the product--in many ways it is my favorite of my 4 flintlocks. They are a small company--the company president answered the phone and took my order. I was concerned they may have gone out of business, not having seen their ads in Muzzleloader and Muzzle Blasts. The faults I mentioned are minor, and I would gladly buy from them again.

I ordered a gun from him in April, and I haven't received it either. I have sent 2 emails with no replies. I'm not in a major hurry, but I would appreciate a reply.

Terry tells me his computer is on the fritz.I called him today and he got back to pretty quick.Left a message on his machine.Keep after him!!I told him I was honestly thinking of cancelling my orders.Wants me to check back with him later next week for a progress report..Good luck to you,Tom..

this sounds like JACKIE BROWN sindrom a cronic time wasting disease that can make your shootin time wither away for a year or more but all said and done one of the best shootin guns i have ever owned :imo:

I ordered a fusil de chasse from Terry (Narragansett) in Sept 04 after he told me it would take only three months. When I got the receipt for the half payment up front, it promised the gun in Jan 05--a little later that originally said, but Ok. Now it is Feb 05, no gun. Terry did not respond to any emails or phone mail, but I finally caught him "in" on the telephone and he now says 3-4 more weeks. Claims some parts were backordered. I have no reason to question that as I have seen numerous complaints from others about parts suppliers being slow or back ordered. I have seen mixed reviews of Terry's work and can only hope that I get a decent gun for the money. This is my second "mail order" custom gun. The first one was from a noted SC maker whose under 1 year time schedule turned into 1.5 years. At least he retuned my emails religiously. You have to expect some slippage with these guys. Typically they are one-man businesses and stuff happens. Terry, however, needs to be more upfront and responsive. You can't be building, though, if you are on the computer or phone all of the time.....

I think that building semi-custom, semi-production authentic-styled pieces for lower prices than custom builders get is about impossible long term. That's what I call this stuff. It's semi-production.

I have seen many of these companies come and go. Green River Rifle Works in the 70's and early 80's tried this with their Hawken and Leman rifles. And they were making their own barrels, so supply of that component was not a problem. They did beautiful work, too, but in the end, it didn't pay the rent. There's not enough margin in this type of work and parts supply will always be a problem. It really doesn't matter who is doing it- they start well, then along the way, find themselves behind for reasons they cannot control. Meanwhile they've sold the farm to finance it and have to do what they have to do to stay alive. I personally would stay away from this type of gun and get a kit from someone and do it myself. Or go the real custom rifle route.

I don't know much about these people, it just seems to me that as long as people line up to throw their money at them and don't expect much in return, this is what you get. I can't imagine sending several hundred dollars for a down payment and not get a reciept! I got envolved in muzzleloading about 1970, and got away from it 10-15 years ago, and it seems to me it has gone down hill since. To have to chase after a gun builder just to get confirmation of the reciept of your order is way beyond my understanding!
I understand the hand building of these guns takes time, and they are worth the wait, but a reciept is just common courtesy. I'll spend my money elsewhere.....just my 2CENTS.....loojack :m2c:

this is who i use brent gurteck nice gye and thay are the cats a** in my book i own smooth rifle #9 and smooth pistol #29 on sight it said 29 is 69 cal not so it is a 62 to match #9 its big brouther #9 name is old DDT (death, destruction and tarror)and has acounted for maney things going the way of the dodo bird this is the url tell me what you think of my children http://www.longgun.safeshopper.com/ ps he is makin me a 36 strait 3/4 36cal-37 in rayl bbl manton lock top end maple stock'- singel set triger and as mutch wire worke as i can aford dont know the cost never ask he is fair and i send him cash till he said enough i will be indebt to this man for ever i LOOOOOOVE flint and this is the man give him a call last gun came in under time quoted just ordered 36 he said march and i can take his word for it bye the best and only cry once vinny in cold nj

BUYER BEWARE:

Funny how he told you that his computer was having problems, but he answered up to me when I made an inquiry to purchase.

He told me 6-8 months to build rifle, which appears from all of these posts to be untrue. I will not purchase from this company.

I would urge you to request a refund since it appears that receiving a rifle may not happen.

I recently saw the posts in which one person advised that he has waited approximately 16-17 months and still no rifle.

The Kentucky Attorney Generals Office web site is the following:

http://ag.ky.gov/

You may want to contact the Consumer Protection Division.

Bear

As a greybeard, I remember Green River Rifle Works in the late 70's. Good product. Lots of customers. Out of business and lots of people lost deposits. Profit margins way to low for the quality. Kept taking orders they could't keep up with. Finished. manure runs downhill and sometimes gunmakers have problems not of their making. Barrel maker promises 8 weeks. 3 months -no barrel. Gunmaker is going to be late with your gun. *****The key is communication ***** No communication and the customer is generally in trouble.No logical reason for the delay (ie:slow delivery of barrels)and the customer is in trouble.

As a greybeard, I remember Green River Rifle Works in the late 70's. Good product. Lots of customers. Out of business and lots of people lost deposits. Profit margins way to low for the quality. Kept taking orders they could't keep up with. Finished. manure runs downhill and sometimes gunmakers have problems not of their making. Barrel maker promises 8 weeks. 3 months -no barrel. Gunmaker is going to be late with your gun. *****The key is communication ***** No communication and the customer is generally in trouble.No logical reason for the delay (ie:slow delivery of barrels)and the customer is in trouble.

Yes, a lot of fellas lost deposits to G.R.R.W., the company folded after change'n locations,.... and if I'm not mistake'n the same fella is now manufacture'n "White inlines".

Personaly I think he should have made sure all the "deposit money" was returned, instead of start'n up a new business!! :imo: :m2c:

YMHS
rollingb

Old Narragannasett arms (sp) was a good and honorable outfit. Especially when they were churning out that most Barbarous Weapon, the Ferguson. :redthumb:

I concur that Brent Gutrek is a good guy.

Back