• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

case harden color?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Bounds

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm wondering?
If anyone has used Kasenit to case harden initialy, which leaves the parts grey in color. Then use a second firing useing charred bone and leather to achieve the blue and brown coloring that they put into the steel? I got a few lock parts I made and i'm thinking of experimenting a little.

IMO, the charred bone and leather and eye of neut is much too difficult of a process for the average person to attempt.
As I've said before, it is an Art.
The critical part of the art is the methods of quenching as well as the dog bones etc, and the books I've read don't go into detail.
They just say that the quenching methods are inportant.

Dealing with your question though, you might be interested in this link to an old post:

Color Case Hardened Colors

:)

Thanks Zonie:
Ya, I see how that could work. I heated and bent the sear spring while mounted on the lock plate so's I could keep it straight and the plate had some interesting colors. If I had a smaller torch I could see how you could sorta paint with the flame. I'll post some pictures in a few weeks If I can figure out my daughters camera .

case-hardening colors don't last that long or wear that well unless you put some protective finish on the steel. Owners of old classic double-barreled shotguns with color case hardened sideplates used to get them "renewed" every 10 or 20 years.

There is a book called double guns, I forget the author but I think the name was Hughes. The pros quench the part in a bath of chemicals. Potassium Nitrate(?) In any event it oxidizes the metal at different temperatures and creates all the brillant colors. You might want to check out some local gunsmiths, they may be able to do the work for you if colors are all important.
Question: I usually just heat up the part according to the Kasenit directions. Does anyone out there actually give the part an extended heat time to deepen the case hardening?

Back