• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dec.19, 2009

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave K

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I was sitting on the ground for the day. I observed many different deer through out the day but I was holding out. There is a lot of season left to bowhunt as well as muzzleloader season in Jan. My need to able to hunt exceeds my need to fill a tag. This buck at 2:30pm, stepped out of a woods about 3/8 mile away with a doe. I had not seen him before, but I prepared myself for the possiblity of a shot. They approached to 70yds. from me and were down wind of me when he started that stiff legged walk that tells you the game is about over. I took aim off hand and this is the result. I do have a picture of the trail I had to follow, and even a guy with extremely poor vision can see the affect the round ball had on him. I thought it was better not to post that picture of the trail, for the public to see. I was using my 50cal. Beck flinter, with 42" swamped barrel and a .490 ball, powered by 80gr. of 2F Goex. He is just a 6 ptr. with a 19 1/2" inside spread. Thank heavens I can still hunt for a doe, or it is a long wait till next years season.
12-19-09all6pts.jpg

A terrific buck with a Flintlock and traditional patched ball...doesn't get any better than that, Congratulations!

:hatsoff:

Thanks all. Bill, I was thinking of you when I mentioned that long wait till next year.

I heard that...its already been a long time since Nov 7th...only about 10 months to go, L.O.L.

[
12-19-09all6pts.jpg
[/quote]

Beautiful buck. Nice shooting--awesome job on the camera angle! Good luck with the bow!

Awesome 6-pointer! Holding out can pay off sometimes.
Grats on your success. :hatsoff: Great pic. :thumbsup:

Beaut deer and pic. I've always wanted a big six :hatsoff:

That deer ain't even legal here in Mo!(4pt rule) I argue with the officials about such deer,but you know how that goes! :bull:

wvbuckbuste,As a hunter yourself,you are right about watching him all that way. He must of read my mind as I kept "willing" him to keep on coming and he did. It appeared as if the doe he was with, was going to take him into the woods and go behind me, where I may not have had any chance of a shot, unless I had been in my bowhunting treestand as they were going right under it. But, the buck wanted to stay in the field and started to go out a little further into the field, where he hit my wind. That stiff legged walk told me this game is about over with, unless I take the shot now. I had been tracking them over the sights, ever since they got within 200yds, as I wanted to be careful that they didn't see me move when I raised the gun. The gun was cocked and trigger set, all I had to do was slip off the frizzen cover. There seemed to be an eternity to make that 3/8 mile which gave me plenty of time to get myself "under control".

Great job.

I have one day left and have been harassing four antlerless with no suitable shot offered over the past weeks and hardly glimpsed antlers twice this season. All to show for maybe 80 hours spent in the woods. Slim pickins this year for me and lots of vegetables this summer unless something happens tomorrow.

Congratulations! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
That's got to be one of the nicest six pointers that I can remember seeing. :hatsoff:

nice deer great picture ...need to see more of that gun .

any more pictures of your rifle?did you build it?

:thumbsup:

Another congrats. Also would like to see more pics of the rifle. Had to wikipedia New Knoxville after seeing billiard table flat background. Square woodlots and big open fields, any crick bottoms?
R

Latest posts

Back