• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Any Jaeger shooters out there??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralph Meisse

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone use one if these cannons out there. I have one and will try to post a pic tomorrow. Really big bore.

What caliber were these guns usually?

This gun is in, I guess, what you guys call the white. Think I should leave it that way or play around and try to color the metal? I love the old plum brown color on my Kentucky rifles, but don't know what color these guns should be in. Is this much of a job to do?

Big Ralph

I don't have one YET. :thumbsup: My plans are for a 62cal, but a larger bore wouldn't be uncommon for an original. I might opt for a larger caliber if they were more readily available.

Remember, these originally came from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, etc, and were the predecessors to the longrifles made in the colonies, so think pre 1750.

Original finish? I dunno, but most everything turns brown with enough age, so "white" or heat blued might have been original.

Browning a barrel isn't terribly difficult. It needs to be polished to your satisfaction, degreased, and a browning solution applied to cause it to rust. It can be slow as in days, or much quicker if the metal is heated first. The first barrel I did(as a teenager) was with Birchwood Casey Plum Brown, and it still looks good 35 years later.

Hi,

Just posted pics of this gun in Photos, in General Muzzleloading section if you want to see what she looks like.

Big Ralph

A good average caliber for 18th century German rifles is .58.

White is the common "finish". SOMETIMES charcoal blued (generally with damascening/wire work, which I don't understand how they can do it without melting all the wire out...), and RARELY rust blued. Often barrels were temper blued, but this rubs off quite easily, and many guns that are white now, very possibly could have been temper blued to begin with.

Lots of variations on them in bore size & caliber. A few years back I did some investigating on them, as it got in some guys heads on the forums that Jaegers had to be 31" long & .58 cal to be a real Jaeger. So investigating I found all variations of caliber & barrel length, as what I found was from .31 cal to .85 cal & from 21" long to 51" long. From then on I built what I wanted & didn't worry about it. I do prefer them in a .54, .58, or .62 cal, liking the .58 cal the best, & the Jaegers make a Great deer rifle in 31" or 37". If you go with the longer one, be sure it is .54 or larger to keep the weight down. I have built 5 of them & have the parts & stocks to build 5 more if I ever get time to do them. I'm in Tenn. mode right now. :wink:
A grayed barrel darkened at at the sights & breech would look good on the Jaeger. IMHO.
:thumbsup:

Lots of variations on them in bore size & caliber. A few years back I did some investigating on them, as it got in some guys heads on the forums that Jaegers had to be 31" long & .58 cal to be a real Jaeger. So investigating I found all variations of caliber & barrel length, as what I found was from .31 cal to .85 cal & from 21" long to 51" long. From then on I built what I wanted & didn't worry about it. I do prefer them in a .54, .58, or .62 cal, liking the .58 cal the best, & the Jaegers make a Great deer rifle in 31" or 37". If you go with the longer one, be sure it is .54 or larger to keep the weight down. I have built 5 of them & have the parts & stocks to build 5 more if I ever get time to do them. I'm in Tenn. mode right now. :wink:
A grayed barrel darkened at at the sights & breech would look good on the Jaeger. IMHO.
:thumbsup:

Hi

Do a search on Jaeger and a thread should appear where alot of members posted pics of thier rifles. You are in for a treat. good luck with your rifle.

The small caliber rifles (with long barrels too!) are called "VogelPirschBuechsen" (Bird stalking rifles), used for shooting birds and, I suppose, other small game.

IMG_0011-4.jpg

This is one Pic of my Zihn Yaeger. The rifle is a .54 Cal. Swamped 34" Coalrain Barrel, Davis Triggers and 1770 Baughman lock.

Back