• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Strange Spike Tomahawk???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE:"True enough. For all we know that hatchet head is from a homemade agricultural tool used to harvest hops off a vine. No way to know unless it was found "in context" with other items of known use."

Well I would not say there is no way to know what it was used for. If that were true no one could possibly authentic any of them and they would all be worthless junk to collectors. The reality is they are not. I won't go into all the things we look for to authentic them, but we also study every known tool going back 1000 years that even remotely resembles them. We study archaeological sites where they have been found and dated examples, comparing them to that known data. We also study all the reproduction makers in the past and present to compare those with the original examples to the most miniscule detail that most people would not notice it. We study patina for a lifetime and how long does it take to form over 10 years, 20 years, 200 years & how to tell the difference. After the preponderance of all that evidence & more is weighed & it still fits then it is considered by all collectors as the genuine article, just as an antique musket would be.

Now if you mean there is no way to prove who used it then you would be somewhat correct, although the only recorded people to have been known to use this particular type of spike tomahawk was the Iroquois. Any time one tries to pinpoint who actually USED an antique item they are getting into dangerous territory without some documentation to back it up. Unless a psychic is available.

""Many of the spike tomahawk spikes were flat tipped like that. That was just personal preference."

I'm not questioning your expertise in this area. Just seems odd for a weapon. If I were making a weapon and anticipating having to stab someone with it, I wouldn't put a dull chisel point on it?? :idunno:

Of course, I'm from the old school of "if you can't explain it, you don't understand it"

"I'm not questioning your expertise in this area. Just seems odd for a weapon. If I were making a weapon and anticipating having to stab someone with it, I wouldn't put a dull chisel point on it??

Of course, I'm from the old school of "if you can't explain it, you don't understand it"

Hehe, okay bud yeah that didn't sound like questioning my expertise. ;) Historians can't understand why Custer sat on the hill and refused to help reinforce Major Reno at the Battle of Little Big Horn. That doesn't mean it never happened though now does it?

The facts are this-- & I can show you half a dozen books and a few dozen articles to back thisup--that these types of spike tomahawks WERE found on Iroquois Indian sites in archaeological digs "in context".

To say it could have been used as something else when nothing else fits this particular use is like saying just cause a musket shoots lead balls doesn't mean they didn't use it for digging shingles out of a roof. Come on guys, this is getting childish. Fact is you don't know what you're talking about and feel threatened now that somebody called the bluff.

"The facts are this-- & I can show you half a dozen books and a few dozen articles to back thisup--that these types of spike tomahawks WERE found on Iroquois Indian sites in archaeological digs "in context"."

Did they have shingles on their tipi's ? ha I'm just messin' with ya.

It would be interesting to find out why they put a flat point on something like that. There had a to be a reason.

nwctrader said:
Fact is you don't know what you're talking about and feel threatened now that somebody called the bluff.
Good job, only 6 posts and insulting the members already. :thumbsup:

What is it with "experts"?

I would sell my dog and my car before I sold that spike tomahawk. OK my car is a rust bucket and I don't have a dog, but maybe you get my point? The head is very very nice most collectors would pee their pants over it. Handle is a modern replacement. Some people like that, some don't. I don't think it affects the value either way.

If you sell it, or if you don't, get a professional appraisal, in writing. And don't tell anyone of this forum your home address :shocked2: :haha:

Oh, and Carl, just newb-itis. Wait and see. :wink:

:surrender:
Hey Guys cool off a little. To start with this hawk doesn't have a flat tip on it. It has a very sharp point and if you were to reach out and touch someone with it, it could easily go clean through his arm or neck or what ever. You can't see it in my photo's, but the tip is bent a little. Man, you two have to lighten up.

Big Ralph

Are there any online sites that show documented examples of this type of hawk?

Foster From Flint

I'm afraid I'm not very politically correct. I just say it the way it is. By the way, didn't you just insult me too? :thumbsup: Iyiyi, what a group.

nwctrader said:
I'm afraid I'm not very politically correct. I just say it the way it is.

There's "politically correct", then there's rude. They are not necessarily the same.

Saying it "the way it is", is often used to excuse rudeness. It's not a valid excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back