• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Somewhat satisfied with Lyman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smokin,

You make good sense! Places like Dixons are hard to find these days. The local shops have given way to Gander Mountain, Dicks, Cabelas. When you ship back a product they just repackage and ship on the next person.

The family owned shops of years past would send it back to their supplier and get you a new one. We all want quality and know that in today's world there is a price to be paid for it.

Not all of us can afford the high priced guns that's why we settle for the Lymans, Cabelas and TC. When I receive my Lyman I will give it a good look and be less critical after reading these threads.

The bottom line is knowing what is a major issue and a minor one! I thank you all for sharing information and being open and honest.

:thumbsup:
Vietnam71

Overall, I'm quite satisfied. For the money you get a well build and durable gun. Sure they have some minor annoyances, but you get what you pay for. If you want more, expect to spend more. I think they're a very good value. I like to tinker anyway, so the problems are usually pretty easy to correct.

I own a .50 cal flintlock Lyman GPR and am quite satisfied with it. The fit and finish on mine is quite good and it is a fine shootin gun. I bought mine second hand and it needed some minor work because the previous owner was not a black powder shooter and did not know that proper way to clean a muzzleloader. I got it cleaned up and working fine. He also drilled out the touch hole liner and that needs to be replaced but that is a minor thing since it shoots fine right now. Because the hole in the touch hole liner is too big, there is quite a flash when it goes off. That is not necessary nor is it desirable. Over all, I am very satisfied with my GPR and often pick it over others when I am shooting in a match.

bobman said:
I've recieved two rifles both with the same problem both with factory metal preservative.

I get tired of people that make assumptions about others without knowing them. I also get tired of people that say that anyone should just, accept a obvious manufacturing defect, as a matter of course. Because the rifle is inexpensive a manufacturing defect is just that a defect and apparently many of you recieved rifles without the defect or it would not get the varying degrees of good reviews. So now I'm facing having to send it back again which is a pain in the ass and means another week atleast that I cannot use it.

Off Lymans web site " This classic muzzleloader offers such high quality features...."

I am not expecting a perfect fit and finish I am also not satisfied with having to pry the stock towards the lock to seat the barrel.

ANd lastly I have never complained about any product on a forum prior to this,and could not find one locally.

So yes please stay off your soap bow with your insinuations

First of all my post was not directed at YOU, so don't be so quick to bite my head off!

I never said anything about accepting a manufacturer's defect either! Looks like Mid-South (one of THOSE mail-order places with great prices) couldn't be bothered to even open-up the box (after you asked them to) that the gun comes in and try putting the thing together by using the wedges that holds the stock to the barrel--so much for their great customer service! :barf:

In going to the Lyman web site prior to writing this post, I found no less than 13 official dealers of their products just by typing in the State of Georgia, ALL of whom stand behind the company's great warranty.

So, that tells me IF you went to the STORE to inspect the gun PRIOR to purchase, you'd be happy now instead of worrying about the great customer service of a mail-order place that doesn't listen to it's customers!

I'm sorry you're going through this situation and I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction. This would have never happened at the STORE that I buy from, because all of the rifles are put together before they go up on the shelf for sale. During the buying process, the buyer is shown by the store owner how to take-down the rifle and put it in the box it came in from Lyman, which is stored in a closet until it's needed when the rifle is sold. Anything so obvious as a bent stock wouldn't have been tolerated by the store owners, as they assemble the rifles prior to display, and it would be sent back immediately, thus avoiding this type of problem entirely.

Bottom line is that sometimes mail-order isn't so CHEAP after-all :wink:

May you enjoy many happy years with your Lyman!

Dave

I have to wonder if these places that have the best price, are selling sub-standard (I don't want to call them seconds) pieces, and that's how they can cut the price.

R.M. said:
I have to wonder if these places that have the best price, are selling sub-standard (I don't want to call them seconds) pieces, and that's how they can cut the price.

If a lifetime warranty is included, I can't see that as a win for either the consumer or the mail-order house, but then some folks won't know the difference (in a slight problem) so maybe you're on to something :hmm: .

It would be interesting to find-out if the low-bid warehouses get the "Monday and Friday" production and small independent stores get a higher quality product shipped to them to begin with, since they're probably paying more per unit than the mail-order warehouses. Or it might just be the "luck of the draw".

Dave

I purchased a Lyman Trade Rifle three or four years ago. The fit and finish is very good considering the price and it is very accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Lyman to anyone wanting good value for their money.

To my knowledge, Chuck Dixon at Dixon Muzzleloading, Kempton, PA still handles warranty repair for Lyman. His contact information is inside the cover of the instruction manuals that came with my guns. He's easy to work with and handled my GPR's problems, no questions asked. He cares about the gun being right.

Before sending a gun back to the place where you bought it, you might want to contact Chuck and discuss any issues. You might do better by letting someone who knows & cares correct what you have rather than taking a chance on a different gun with a different set of problems.

Shipping a gun here and there is a PITA; but if you have to do it, you might as well send it where it will get fixed. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised to find that Chuck gives Lyman/Interarms some feedback if he sees the same problem repeatedly.
Bob

short start,

Thanks for the information. I have not received my GPR yet, and plan to look it over carefully. I already printed down directions to Dixon's and may just take a day trip for the experience of seeing the shop. It is about a 1 1/2 hour drive from my home in NY.

I'm hoping I don't have the same experience with my GPR that others have had. On most Muzzle Loading forums the Lyman GPR comes with very high regard.

It is clearly nice to see so many people with the same interest sharing ideas and experiences!

Thanks again
:thumbsup:
vietnam71

Chuck and his son Gregg are stand-up guys! I was just there on the 28th of last month. That's the STORE that I go to, and it's 1:45 from my house. The place is a museum, and it's well worth the trip! Their customer service is extraordinary, as I've noted on this thread previously! You will not be disappointed that you made the trip!

Send me a PM/PT and I'll write back with more info, directions to a Cabela's that's only 11 miles up the road, where to get chow, go for a winery visit, etc., etc. You can make an entire day of it, and you'll be coming back for more!

Dave

:thumbsup: That's why we bought two of them, so my son and I could shoot side-by-side! We both liked the first one so much, it didn't make any sense to switch brands, sizes, calibers, etc.

They both can cut playing cards in half at 25 yards :)

Dave

I would say bobman has a good reason to be PO. He shouldn't have to pry the stock left or right to seat the barrel, just some downward pressure. Now he has been through this twice. :cursing: He can't even get to clean up the packing grease & move on to the best part, the amazing accuracy these guns are capable of. I wouldn't accept those guns either. At about $450, I wouldn't call them cheap, as in live with the defects or fix it yourself. Some very minor things, OK, but you have to have something to work with, and that stock to barrel fit could affect accuracy. He will get the one he wants & move on to the excitement of shooting these fine guns. We are all on the same team here. We share the same interests. We are here to help each other. We could do things the untraditional way, but we choose not to. We are an Elite bunch. We are Traditionalists. We are the best. :thumbsup:

I agree with you. He shouldn't have had to go through this fiasco to begin with! It's a shame that somehow a couple of miss-matched units got boxed together. This problem seems to be the exception and not the rule!

His best course of action would be to drive to one of the 13 dealers in Georgia (on Lyman's web site) to turn-in the ill-fitting one and personally inspect the replacement. He might even make a new friend in the shop keeper and turn an aggravating experience into a pleasant one. A couple of phone calls to the dealers that do warranty work to set-up this swap would be in order.

Yes, indeed we're all on the same side! In the spirit of the holidays, I'd like to help make those calls to help him. Bobman, if I can help find you a dealer that handles warranty work somewhat near you (I don't know much about Georgia geography wise), I'll be glad to do it! Just send me a PM/PT with where you are and some contact info (an email address for starters).

My intention was never to irritate anyone. I hope that I can be of some help to resolve this bad situation ASAP.

Dave

It seems to be a quality control issue with Lyman supplier of the great plains rifles. A friend here has had one now for several years. He sent it back to Lyman and they told him the barrel was defective and replaced it. It still shoots like manure. If it had been mine it would long ago gone down the road. However he is low on funds and seems to be willing to except his poor performing rifle.

I received my Great Plains Rifle from D&R Sports in PA yesterday evening. I'm completely happy with the fit and finish of the rifle. Stock to metal finish is excellent. The barrel attached without a hitch.

I did not experience any of the issues the previous posters had with theirs. I will send pictures once I have her cleaned up.

One question, is linseed oil a good product to rub into the stock? Tung oil might be another choice but it states not to use on wood that has already been stained or treated.

So far very pleased with the rifle.

Vietnam71 :thumbsup:

It seems some of us have been lucky, and some not so much. I tried 2 GPRs, and both had issues. I returned them and bought a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain. I only had to replace the nipple on that, and it has been flawless. Maybe I finally got lucky, or maybe Pedersoli's better. I don't know. I did have to spend more, but just can't see having to modify and change things on a brand new muzzleloader in order to make it work. I'm glad that there are many happy GPR owners out there, but my two attempts resulted in unusable guns without serious modifications (at least for me). I was able to buy my Pedersoli for a bit more (when they were on serious sale at Cabela's) and am thrilled. I had also bought my GPRs at Mid South, and while I wound up returning them, I was so satisfied with their service that I have bought other items from them.

Back