• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel protector

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OB OBrien

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Where can I get or make a barrel protector for my 50 cal fiberglas ram rod? Or do I need one as I have just coned the barrel.
Thanks
OB

All range rods for all rifles should have a muzzle protector. They are readily available from such places as Muzzleloader Builder's Supply. Take a look at this:
http://muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/cgi-bin/mbscart/agora.cgi

Once you get to this page, go to the search box at the upper left corner of the page and type in "muzzle protector". They have several to select from but you need to know your rod diameter so you can get the proper size protector. They all work just fine but I prefer the brass ones. No particular reason, I just like them best. :thumbsup:

You can also get them from Track of The Wolf, The Log Cabin Shoppe, TVM, Dixie Gun Works, etc. I hope this helps. :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
The range rod for my .50 pistol is a steel rod with a file handle attached on one end and a brass flare nut (brake line fitting) as a muzzle protector. NAPA auto parts has the nuts in various sizes. As mentioned earlier, TOW sells purpose made muzzle guide/protector in various calibers.

Most muzzle protectors are made of brass and I have one on a lot of cleaning rods, but I have come to like the plastic ones better.

Maybe it's because I do not hear the clank of it at times when it falls down the rod and it hits the barrel.

I just think plastic is a better and it will do less damage to the cleaning rod and barrel crown.

RDE

Back when I was still working, I got some plastic or nylon cone shaped pieces from the plumber, they even had a hole through them. They were parts from toilet flushers he rebuilt IIRC. Work like a charm.

Ive seen folks make em from a small plastic funnel from the grocery store. dont matter if it fits the rod loose or not. Just needs to protect the bore. :wink:

Round Ball suggested I contact Muzzleloader builders supply and get some of their nylon bore protectors. I did and I really like them. If they fall down the ram rod they will not bugger up the crown like brass could.

This is kinda related to the topic, but it's different. I do civil war reenacting, and part of our safety procedure is to drop our ram rods down the muzzle then the inspector bounces the rifle up and down to hear that ping at the breech to signify that it is clear and also that no real load is at the bottom. Finally after all that here is my question.
For those of us who do, do real firing how much damage is that bouncing up and down doing to our breech? Some of those guys who inspect can be quite vigorous in thier bouncing.

Even your steel ramrod is usually made of a softer steel than the breech plug in the barrel, so it should not do much, if any damage at all. The Brass fittings we use on traditional MLers- not military replicas-- are much softer than the steel barrels and plugs. No damage at all. I have seen some hickory rods with so much of a bend in their shafts that they can't be thrown down the barrel to " Ping" the plug as you describe. Our Range officers( in charge of safety) use a metal range rod to check those member's guns.

Basically, your " test" is a short-cut. The best way to know that there is NO powder charge or ball/bullet in the barrel, is to put a ramrod down the barrel. Mark it with your thumb at the muzzle, then remove it and lay it down alongside the barrel. The nose of the rod should be along side or behind the TH in a flintlock, or near the nipple in a percussion gun.

It takes quite a bit of practice for some people to learn the difference in sound from tapping steel to tapping soft lead. Those shooters who are TONE DEAF cannot do this at all. There are so many variables in creating a " bouncing Ramrod" that comparing the height of the " bounce" is meaningless in most guns, IMHO. :thumbsup:

OB OBrien said:
Where can I get or make a barrel protector for my 50 cal fiberglas ram rod? Or do I need one as I have just coned the barrel.
Thanks
OB
Just a brief note here. When I started out I found out that a fiberglass ram rod was about as abrasive as anything I ever used. I wore out my brass barrel protector in one shooting season. I have since gone to using first stainless steel and now brass working rods. The protectors have not worn out since the fiberglass rod was retired. I hate to think what that rod will do to a barrel. Probably cone it unevenly.

So, when you order your barrel protector, also get a brass or stainless steel working rod. Your barrel will thank you.

The Bevel Brothers did a test in Muzzle Blast a few months ago on the wear from ram rods. They took some pieces of barrel and different ramrods. The hooked the ramrod up to an electric motor so it would do a lot wiping real fast. If I recall correctly, the worst at wearing away the barrel was the fiberglass, wood and stainless steel turned out to be about equal.

Many Klatch

Maybe next time you're at the range look around for a discarded cartridge case to transform into a muzzle protector. Depending on the diameter of rod and muzzle you might artfully hack saw two different ones and solder them together.

This sport is a tinkerer's paradise.

Back