• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best nipple wrench on the market?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmarcone

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've had a problem with standard revolver nipple wrenches breaking trying to remove a stubborn nipple on my 1858 Remington. My next step is to soak the cylinder (with the stuck nipple) in Kroil.

But, for the future, what is the best revolver nipple wrench you can buy and where can I get it?

Thanks.

Best nipple wrench I have had for Remington and Colt type nipples has been Uncle Mike's brand if I recall correctly.

Unfortunately they do not seem be be sold by Uncle Mike's anymore. The Gun Works in Oregon has them on-line, not sure if still available. Revolver Deluxe #46052:
http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?ProductID=448&do=detail&Cat2Option=yes

Also, the Ted Cash ratcheting - revolver head wrench, shown on the Gun Works site might do the trick. Have not had the Cash one.

Perhaps another member will have more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
PaulTheWall said:
I've had a problem with standard revolver nipple wrenches breaking trying to remove a stubborn nipple on my 1858 Remington. My next step is to soak the cylinder (with the stuck nipple) in Kroil.

But, for the future, what is the best revolver nipple wrench you can buy and where can I get it?

Thanks.

The BEST one is the one that FITS good in the first place :thumbsup: . Seriously though, I own a half dozen different nipple wrenches. For my '58 Remmys I use one made or distributed by RMC. Bought it from Gregg Dixon of Dixon Muzzleloading Shop in Kempton PA. This thing fits like a glove, without any play, so that the ears of the wrench don't get bent to soon. I use this wrench ONLY for this model cylinder!

For my Walker I use the Pedersoli nipple wrench for Walker revolvers. This model also works well on my Third Model Dragoon. For the little 1860 Colt Army I use a "small" nipple wrench, even smaller than the one for the Remmys. For the Trade Rifle I use a #11 Rifle Nipple wrench.

One other thing, and this is for the newbies more than it is meant for you, the nipples are screwed-in at an angle. So unless you hold the cylinder firmly AT AN ANGLE you will bend the ears on any wrench trying to remove a stuck nipple.

Preventing a stuck nipple in the first place is always easier in the long run. I always put a drop of oil on the threads of the nipple prior to installation in the cylinder. I also use an oily patch on a pistol cleaning rod to lubricate and finish cleaning the nipple pocket prior to nipple installation. I leave the pockets soaking wet with oil, then install the nipples. Only tighten slightly!

Hope that I've been some help.

Dave

I gave up buying wrenches,& made one out of a 1/4 inch drive socket , with a dremel tool. If you do this make sure not to over heat the socket & lose the temper.Hope this helps.

I broke one of the nipple wrenches on my Pietta Remington (don't remember which one it was...I'm sure I got it at Cabela's...). Pistol was brand new. I like to have never got them things off. They were TIGHT.

I have one now (also I think I got from Cabela's) which is a steel tube with a notch in the end for the nipples, and a cross handle at the top, and it finally got the nipples out and seems to work fine. Of course, I don't know if I could find it now....

I bought the the one made by Rigthnour Mfg. Co. Part # ML063.
It's sold by sog357 on eBay for $10.19 "buy it now" plus $2.56 shipping.
Just enter nipple wrench into the eBay search box and search the results. His ads display the top rated eBay seller emblem.

Latest posts

Back