• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Touch Hole Liner Dangerous?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After over 3000 rounds I had a clean out screw on a percusion patent breech "blow Out". It went sailing down the "line" on a woodswalk. Luckly no one other than a tree was hit. So a threaded vent liner could blow out if the threads are not correct. (The clean out screw was replaced with an oversized brass screw and silver soldered in place.)

Most clean out screws are very small, and any error in thread sizing creates a MISSILE. Its amazing that your COS lasted as long as it did before going airborne! A TH Liner is a very different creature. As has already been observed, most are behind the edge of the flash pan, and the forward part of the lockplate. The plate has to be bent, or pushed away from the barrel to allow any outward movement of a Liner.

That is the reason I have never heard of, or seen a TH liner take flight! I have seen nipples, and flash cups take off! Not a pretty sight. And, I am glad no one was hurt when your COS took off.
:thumbsup:

i have seen nipples blown out and drums blown off, but have never seen a vent liner blown out. i suppose that it could happen, but i had a dgw southern poor boy that i converted to flint. i used to pull the liner after every shooting session to attache a flush tube for cleaning. never had any problem. i have a new tvm coming and have learned a thing or two since then and will no longer pull the liner and use this method of cleaning but i would not worry about having a vent liner. having a liner also gives you some options, such as enlarging the flash hole, and if you decide that it wasnt a good idea to enlarge it you can install a new liner. in and out takes less than a minute. imho it would take longer to modify a vent hole that you were not happy with. and then not be able to reverse the modification. in conclusion i guess i like vent liners. on the other hand i would not be opposed to a fine shooting rifle with a touch hole either. dont sweat the small stuff and have fun shooting.

i think the key words here are alcohol and overload. not really the fault of a liner, imho liners are safe overloads are not, and as a man who likes an occasional libation or two, please keep your drinking and shooting seperate both are fun but dont mix the two. oil and water, glass and bricks drinkin and shootin do not mix.

Back