• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

l.m.f stains............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1961

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Stains for fine wood by Laurel Mountain Forge....how are they......................bob

Hey Bob I like their product I have finished 2 flintlock rifles , 1 bolt action military rifle and a ML shotgun . The Nut Brown looks nice on maple I did my York rifle with one coat and its nice, 2 coats gives a darker look of course but a nice color not that dk that you cant see the grain I top coated with Tung oil but I understand their finish is very good. My friend had his Jaeger done with it and its pretty he also used the Nut Brown stain, I'll try to post a pic later of mine.

If I remember right LMF is an alcohol based stain and has real nice color to it, they can be mixed for what ever color you are trying to achieve. A friend of mine, Gary Rummel, is a gun builder and he mixes maple and cherry and gets a real nice brown with a slight touch of red. Top it off with several coats of Watco Danish oil and mmmmm, looks great.

I have used some of the LMF stains and liked them, I usually put them on till very dark then steel wool them down to the shade I want, as always test stain a scrap first.

My friend Neill has built about 360 muzzleloading firearms and LMF Lancaster Maple is his favorite. I have used it, last on Carole's rifle (see "small person's flintlock" in Builder's Bench) and like it. Susie in her Muzzleloader Builder's Supply catalog (12.2) has good things to say about them, and instructions on how to apply them. They are alcohol based. She says you can use one and then put another color on, but don't pour one stain into the other or you get mud.

Hey Bob, here is a pic of my york county .54 rifle with LMF nut brown on it.
208bd965.jpg

Griz....that Watco Danish oil.....how is it compared to Tru Oil or the other linseed oil based products? How's it weather, is it primarily a finish for indoor furniture, have you ever used it? And speaking of Danish......I'm hungry.

I haven't used it myself, I am told it will get a finish simialar to tung oil, no not spit. :crackup: Sorry, it is applied in several coats, 1st flood it and let it soak for a day 2 repeat 3 steel wool and brush several coats, steel wooling between caots. That's how I was told to apply it. Gary builds rifles to use so I would think it would weather Fine, but that's just my opinion.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=767
here is a site that may tell you a little more about it.

Yea Griz i did I got one of Cabin Creeks parts kits . By the way thanks glad you like it

thanks guys for the input....just picking brains of those in the know before i start my lancaster....i want it to come out good.....................bob

I haven't used it myself, I am told it will get a finish simialar to tung oil, no not spit. :crackup: Sorry, it is applied in several coats, 1st flood it and let it soak for a day 2 repeat 3 steel wool and brush several coats, steel wooling between caots. That's how I was told to apply it. Gary builds rifles to use so I would think it would weather Fine, but that's just my opinion.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=767
here is a site that may tell you a little more about it.

Perfectly explained Griz, capital job :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This is a jaeger rifle that belongs to my friend same stain 1 coat nut brn , and 1 coat cut 50% with reducer top coated with LMF permalyn finish.
jaeger5.jpg

LHunter,
both rifles look very nice :imo:
thanks for sharing
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup:

Griz....that Watco Danish oil.....how is it compared to Tru Oil or the other linseed oil based products? How's it weather, is it primarily a finish for indoor furniture, have you ever used it? And speaking of Danish......I'm hungry.

Well.....I didn't use it building a gun, but I did use it on my kid's bunkbeds about 20 years ago. It's an oil finish for furniture that comes with a stain built in. I got it because I didn't have to stain the bed first and then oil it, I could just rub the oil in and be done with it. Then, when the kids scratched it up, I'd just bring out the can of Watco, use a soft rag and rub some more oil in. It worked really well on the bunkbeds, but I never tried shootin a patched rounud ball out of them.... :crackup:

Sorry, couldn't resist that.

Back