• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shoulder Strap Angle- shooting bags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownBear

In Rmembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone who hasn't bought the book yet, this may be news to you (and good news, to boot). In his book "Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch" TC Albert demos building a bag with the shoulder strap set at a 20 degree angle, rather than straight up from the bag.

Out of curiosity I built one that way, and HOLY COW! What an improvement it makes in the way the bag rides against your body. I've made three more that way, and far as I'm concerned, I'll never make another bag with "straight" straps.

While we're on the info in this great book, he also presents the option of having the adjustment buckle for the strap on the back. Another improvement for me from the purely practical standpoint.

This stuff is probably old news to many, but I thought I should point it out as a kind of Thank You to TC for putting together a really useful book. :hatsoff:

I don't know much, but I have did some leather work in the past and "Padidle" at it now and then, but those that incorporate the use of D rings just above the bag seems to have the same effect for the strap to wrap around the body more natural! JMHO

Rick

I know what you're saying Rick, but that's part of my surprise. I've built them with D's for years too, but wasn't prepared for the difference. Can't put my finger on it, but they do just settle in tighter against me, whether they're on the front, back or side at the moment.

I need another bag right now, so what I'm thinking is I'll build the same as I just built, but use D's this time so I can really compare them.

A curiosity, for sure.

And hats off again to TC. The collection of old bags in the book is worth the price of admission, over and above the patterns and instructions.

Thanks for the kind words Brownbear...I sincerely appreciate them...

kicking out the straps at an angle does help the pouch contour the wearer a bit more naturally when worn,and also relieves some of the stress that the stitches are under where the strap attaches if not angled as well...

Many of the old bags incorporate this detail, and I use it on all of the pouch sets I make too...
Thanks again, TCA

You're welcome TC!

I just finished two days of hunting with my latest pouch, and I have to say I was almost totally unaware of it. I still can't put my finger on the difference between that and D-rings, but it's there. It just doesn't flop around and stays tight to your body. Maybe that's a reasonable explanation after all.

Without you and your great book, I probably never would have picked that up.

Now, can you recommend anything for clumsy feet? :wink:

well, just out of curiousity, i bought the book. my eldest daughter has a leatherworking business and had some excess that she let me have, so i got out the patterns and photocopied them and went to work according to the directions.

wow. even an old, cranky, foul mouthed fumblefingers such as myself can do this. (one of my wife's friends, a certified NYC fasionista, commented that the bag looked really nice, and the stitching was very pretty)... so a big

hats off :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

to Mr. Albert- great book, well written and very well illustrated: clear, simple to understand directions designed to produce results!

Learn to "fox walk". See Tom Brown's "Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking." I will match my big clumbsy feet against yours any day, and add bowed legs to boot! But, I have learned how to walk so quietly in the woods that I can walk right up to people or past them and they won't hear me. :thumbsup:

Hi Swampy...ahh..."the boot"...those bags have are fun to do and I like making boot bags for sure...good and historical use for the leather...
(waste not want not...)

Rings are pretty rare for early American hunting pouches...I wont say that they never used, because I recentlty restored a later percussion era bag that sported its original 1/2 (??) iron rings that still retained most of their original black "japaning".

I like rings on big German game bags where they were commonly if not always used, but other than that, unless asked to use them, I never incorporate rings into the design of one of my bags...not that that makes it any righter or "wronger-er"
( :) nice word hugh?), but thats just the way I do, or should I say, don't do them ...
TCA

Ah man, you spoiled it Swampy. Up till just now you two jawin had me talked into trying my hand at making boot bags. Might still do it, whether you're talking boots or books! :rotf:

BrownBear said:
Ah man, you spoiled it Swampy. Up till just now you two jawin had me talked into trying my hand at making boot bags. Might still do it, whether you're talking boots or books! :rotf:

Sorry bud, I blame it on drugs. :rotf: I had a very upset therapist chew me out cause I complained about back pain and fessed up to getting on my CATV yesterday. Season starts tomorrow! :haha:

Latest posts

Back