• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Movie Arrived!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misher

45 Cal.
Reaction score
My "Drums Along The Mohawk" arrived today.It's my weekend movie this week.

good movie. The most annoying part in there is with the screaming woman. I listen to enough of that, i dont need to hear it when i want to relax and watch a movie.

Agreed, the book is better. But Henry Fonda is a very good Gil and Claudette Colbertt...she was the "Hottie" of her era. Still one of my favorite period movies. Where did you find it on DVD?

John

It's at a few places on e bay. The REDTAG listing is the best. I already posted a more specific answer a while ago and it is gone without a trace. Maybe I violated some rule by being so specific?? I put in an e bay item number.

Kentuckywindage said:
good movie. The most annoying part in there is with the screaming woman. I listen to enough of that, i dont need to hear it when i want to relax and watch a movie.

It's been years since I've seen this movie. One character in it stands out though. The old lady playing Mrs. McKlennar (Edna May Oliver) had several movies in which she played a school teacher turned sleuth teamed up with a classic wiseguy New York detective played by James Gleason. She also appeared in several other comedies and was really funny. I do remember that she gets killed in D's Along the M. By the way, Warner Brothers made a cartoon parody of this movie starring Elmer Fudd and his love interest was a cartoon version of Edna May. I think I may have it on tape. I'd like to see the movie again. May have to check out WallyWorld and see if they have it here.

Sorry, the Warner cartoon was about the John Alden/Priscilla Mullens/Miles Standish love triangle, not "Drums". The female lead was an imitation of Edna May, though.

Lostrifle said:
Sorry, the Warner cartoon was about the John Alden/Priscilla Mullens/Miles Standish love triangle, not "Drums". The female lead was an imitation of Edna May, though.

Ya know, the more I think of it that's probably right! There was a scene where Indians were shooting at Edna and I think Elmer in the cartoon that greatly resembled a scene in Drums where the Indians were after Edna's character. That is, if I remember right. It's been a long time since I've seen either one. At any rate, it's a shame that she died when she did. She was a very interesting character actress and when paired up with guys like James Gleason very funny.

I just looked on the imdb website at "The Hardship of Miles Standish", the Warner Bros. cartoon we were talking about. I found the following,

"Too funny is Prisilla, modeled after Edna May Oliver.

The Indian attack was emulating Oliver's Oscar nominated performance in Drums Along The Mohawk, where she was in a cabin attacked by Indians."

That's the reason I got them confused. Now I can sleep better. I need to look and see if that cartoon is on one of the tapes I made years ago when good cartoons were still on the air.

I really like that movie, too. Another of my favorites is " Big Sky". I has a young Kirk Douglas, Dewey Martin, and my favorite is Arthur Hunnicut, who is telling the story as it goes. It's about a flat boat and crew going up the Missouri river to trade for furs. Directed by Howard Hawks.

I can't believe this.I am watching "DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK" on Encore western as I write this post.The woman does screem alot. Hope she quietens down a bit for the second half!

Hunsfoot 1 said:
I really like that movie, too. Another of my favorites is " Big Sky". I has a young Kirk Douglas, Dewey Martin, and my favorite is Arthur Hunnicut, who is telling the story as it goes. It's about a flat boat and crew going up the Missouri river to trade for furs. Directed by Howard Hawks.

Funny thing about "The Big Sky": it's one of the few movies I've seen that(IMO) were better than the book.

I would like to see:

Northwest Passage
(Spencer Tracy)

Across the Wide Missouri (Clark Gable)

Northwest Mounted Police
(Gary Cooper)

all released on dvd as well ... :hmm: :thumbsup:

Davy

Mike, Check out the rifle that Henry Fonda is carrying as he falls into rank and marches off to battle. Is that cool or what?

Back