• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

first blood for custom 32 flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Today I decided to take my 32 custom flinter out squirrel hunting. I had never taken it out hunting before because I didnt want it to get beat up. But I found a way to fix that. I loaded it then put it in a soft case. When I saw a squirrel I simply took the gun out of the case,primed it ,and shot. This made it so I could take out my nicest gun,but not ding it up lol. So anyway I took it out on a little evening squirrel hunt. I was in the middle of the woods when I heard a red squirrel chirping. I answered the squirrel with my squirrel call and started stalking it.I got close but I still couldnt see it. I took the flinter out of the case,primed it,and crouched down and started sneeking down a deer trail towards the squirrel. Thats when I saw it. It was sitting on a small limb chirping away. I pulled the flinter up,cocked the hammer,set the trigger,aimed at the squirrel,and pulled the trigger. bang. the squirrel dropped. I walked over and picked up the nice red squirrel. I noticed that I only grazed it,but the shock was enough to kill it stone dead. It was a very good hunt. I also missed 4 fox squirrels,but I am still getting used to this gun. but I already love everything about it. This gun is definetly gonna draw lots of blood this season. enjoy SS
DSCF1048.jpg

DSCF1049.jpg

close up of gun
DSCF1050.jpg

:thumbsup: Beautiful rifle my friend. I'm jealous. Get out there and kill some more 'rats and I'll heat up the frypan. Thanks for the post.

This is the second pic of a red squirrel on this forum... do you purposely hunt them and do you eat them? Have hunted squirrels for over 60 yrs and have always passed on these little fellas, prefering the grays and foxes. Not critical, just curious about what is considered "game" in different parts of the country. I'll bet that while sitting your eyes are on the LR and that's part of the joy of hunting w/ a "good looker"....Fred

flehto

I grew up in Northern Wisconsin. Far as I know, those things weren't protected, but at the same time, no one considers them "game" animals either. When I was a kid, we had one as a pet. Lived about 4 years in captivity with us. Slept in a large cage dad made from wire with a dead tree complete with squirrel hole in it. We'd let it out a lot during the day and it played cat and mouse with the dog and cat and they had a ball together. They never caught it.

We'd give it peanuts and it would climb the drapes and hide them at the top in the folds. We'd discover this on the rare occasions we closed the drapes.

I suppose I shouldn't complain. I'm a crow shooter at least once or twice during my fall hunting trips. I enjoy calling them in with my voice and fooling them a bit. Nope, I don't eat them.

I've known "hunters" who shoot porcupines on sight because "they eat trees!" Stupidest reason in the world since 99% of the time you are in a huge forrest that has managed to survive side by side with porcupine infestations.

Dan

Great hunt and great rifle. Glad you are using the rifle they are no good if you just hang em on the wall and look at em. Good luck.

Mr. silent sniper,
Beautiful rifle!
If you would not mind my asking, how much does it weigh?
Am becoming more and more interested in owning a flintlock .32 but would prefer one weighing 6 lbs or less.
Best Wishes

Great story, great hunt. Keep 'em coming. Just grazed him, huh? :grin:

:hatsoff:
Spot

Beautiful rifle.....and just what do they call a "solid" hit in your part of the country ?
:grin:

Congratulations!
:hatsoff:

I grew up in Northern Wisconsin. Far as I know, those things weren't protected, but at the same time, no one considers them "game" animals either.

There sure is not much there to eat, eh? I gre up in the UP and we had em thick up there. We never saw conventional gray or fox squirrels up there. Nobody hunted the little reds. Just not enough meat I suppose. Also, they eat mainly evergreen cone seeds, which has to be a taste transmitter of some kind.

Now, out here in CO we have the exact same squirrel but it is not red, it is gray and locally refered to as a pine squirrel. My grandson has whacked a few for the tails to tye flies with but we never tried eating them.

If anybody has a good recipe for these, I'd like to know it. Might try gathering up about ten of them and cook em up! Anybody know how??

Mr. marmotslayer,
Small Red Squirrels are the only type we have here in our part of the Interior. We cook them in a stew, the same as we would for beef.
Taste fine.
Best Wishes

Man that is a sweet looking rifle... :thumbsup: I'am wanting me a .32 or .36 cal real bad for squirrel hunting... Maybe someday...Great shot on that squirrel too... :applause:

Danny... :hatsoff:

Really fine looking rifle. I shoot a 32 flint as well and really like it. Mine took a little getting used to though as the barrel is not swamped and so she is barrel heavy. Still fun to shoot. Thanks for showing us yours.

The best recipe for squirrels I know of is to cook in acrock pot until meat is falling off the bones then pick meat off mix with stuffing mix and cream of mushroom soup bake at 350 until browned. Silent Sniper beautiful rifle and great story of your hunt.........watch yer top knot

in ohio the red squirrel is a legal hunted animal and is included in the squirrel season with grey and fox squirrels.I cook then as with any other squirrel. bread in mixture of flour,seasoning salt,salt,and pepper.Then pan fry in oil.
strangly my woods is the only woods I have found in my area that has a large population of red squirrels. They like the walnuts.I really like hunting the hard to hit little buggers.
my flinter has a swamped barrel and balances like a dream. it weights in at around 61/2-7 pounds.

Small Red Squirrels are the only type we have here in our part of the Interior. We cook them in a stew, the same as we would for beef.

I'll have to give them a try this year. We have a season on them and it opens either 9/1 or 10/1. Will have to check to see if they are legal next weekend for ml elk opener. Might make a great camp feast! :)

We have the fox squirrels in our riparian areas of co but they are not heavily populated. The largest population is in my back yard where they destroy my fruit and grapes :( I have deported as many as seven over a period of two days but the others in the neighborhood just fill in the empty space!

flehto said:
This is the second pic of a red squirrel on this forum... do you purposely hunt them and do you eat them? Have hunted squirrels for over 60 yrs and have always passed on these little fellas, prefering the grays and foxes. Not critical, just curious about what is considered "game" in different parts of the country. I'll bet that while sitting your eyes are on the LR and that's part of the joy of hunting w/ a "good looker"....Fred

We'd call that a gray squirrel here. Most of the grays around here have a little red in their fur. The only red squirrels I've ever seen were wee little fellers that were almost a solid red and they were in the eastern mountains. We have some fox squirrels here that can get near as big as a young groundhog.

I think these little squirrels are known by various names...red,pine and chickaree and probably some local names and all could be a little different but all are tiny compared to grays and the much larger fox. Possibly a gray/fox cross? Some grays are all black in some areas.....Fred

flehto said:
I think these little squirrels are known by various names...red,pine and chickaree and probably some local names and all could be a little different but all are tiny compared to grays and the much larger fox. Possibly a gray/fox cross? Some grays are all black in some areas.....Fred

Most likely. I've heard of red squirrels being called pine squirrels before. The little reds up in the mountains are called fairy-diddles. Really small. There are some black gray squirrels here but you don't see many. They are usually pretty much average size. The one in the picture appears to be what we call a yearling gray. I've been seeing more fox/gray hybrids the last few years. It does make for a bigger squirrel but without as much toughness as you get with a fox. I killed a huge fox a couple of years ago. Beautiful animal with a lot of meat, but it took some serious boiling to tenderize and even then she was tough. (Tasted good though!)

Back