• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

R.O.A.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tater John

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Truth or Fairytale: The infamous Ruger Old Army can perform in the league with the 45 L.C.?

The frame can, but can it be loaded to match a Long Colt ballistics? :bull:?

Rusty

. sep 5 / 5:00am

i don't have any ballistics data for 45LC, but from another source [bates & cumpston's "percussion pistols and revolvers"(iUniverse, 2005)] i did find this:

(p149) "...velocity levels obtained with optimum accuracy develop calculated energies that span the 300 foot pound range.. this is comparable to the power levels of the standard military .45 automatic and 9 millimeter NATO pistol cartridges...."

apparently they used a .457" rb and 35gr swiss fff, pyrodex p, and h777 for the tests in an "off the shelf" ROA.. the rest of the chapter is pretty interesting as well.

hope that helps.

~d~

There is a gunsmith by the name of Dave Clements who deepens the chambers of the ROA so you can add a few more grains of powder. From what I understand you can gain 50 to 100 fps by such a move.

I plan to send my gun out to a man in Maine for some work. I tried to mount a taller front sight and it looks like the tower of Pisa. After that I am planning to send the cylinder to Dave and see for myself how well this works.

I've experimented with useing 4F as a 'starter' charge under the main charge of 3F. so far I've used a .32acp caseful of 4F and it seems to have more recoil.
seems I read somewhere that the ROA will stand main charges of 4F.

I'm not sure what the point is. Generally your most accurate charge is well below full capacity. Full cylinders in a stock ROA should do what ever is required. If you need more power get a conversion cylinder and shoot 45LC and a big bullet.

I was courious if I was being feed something out of a rumor mill...

Having a comparable power level to the 45acp or 9mm impresses me, but I've been accused of being easily impressed. If the cylinders can be loaded as they are and achieve power level of a 45lc, there again, "I'm impressed." (I'm rank amateur status by the way) And if that is so I don't understand the trouble and cost someone is willing to go through with a conversion cylinder. Certainly "its different strokes for different folks" and I had at one time considered a conversion cylinder but couldn't justify doing so. If I can machine the cylinders to except more charge and get a load that combines accuracy and comparitive results to a Long Colt I think I'd for sure choose doing that instead of a conversion. It doesn't have to be max loaded but if it can be with good ballistics I might do it, if its not to expensive. Now I'm thinking about it and will look into it further

Rusty

Back when Lyman did the testing for their 2nd Edition of "BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK & LOADING MANUAL" they tested a ROA.

With a roundball they tested it using a .457 diameter 144 grain roundball with up to a 40.0 grain charge of GOEX 3Fg which delivered a velocity of 1076 FPS with a muzzle energy of 370 ft/lbs.

The same combination using 40.0 grains of Pyrodex P gave a velocity of 1098 FPS and an energy of 386 ft/lbs.

They used a Buffalo 190 grain conical with 40.0 grains of Goex 3Fg and got 1035 FPS (452 ft/lbs).
40.0 grains of Pyrodex P with this bullet gave a velocity of 1157 FPS and 565 ft/lbs.

Personally I see no reason for wanting something as powerful as a 45 ACP because I already have one of those and quite frankly it isn't as much fun as a C&B gun even if they aren't as powerful.

I also see no reason for trying to increase the power of a ROA or any other black powder gun beyond their stock power but, that's just my opinion.

Hope the numbers help answer your question.

"Hope the numbers help answer your question." :thumbsup: Of course, its all good. A bunch of you have been through this before and have forgot more than I'll ever know, why I ask...

Buffalo 190 gr., 1157 FPS, 565 Ft Lbs tells me if it ain't broke don't fix it.

OK,what about the 50 cal. ROA conversion, should I do it? I'm kidding

Rusty

Personally I see no reason for wanting something as powerful as a 45 ACP because I already have one of those and quite frankly it isn't as much fun as a C&B gun even if they aren't as powerful.

+1
If you want more energy, shoot a Walker.

This is another possibility:
www.classicballistx.com

I have no experience with these cylinders. The description sounds good, though it is a bit pricy. May not cost much more than paying a gunsmith to deepen the chambers though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back