• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Heat treating and tuning L & R lock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear ye Zonie, and after some thought, I am going to take your advice. I haven't even finished the Leman yet and I am wanting to wack it up. I am going to wait and see how the lock performs before I get into my own theories on how the lock should work.

I have this quirk about me that it seems like I need to dive into anything I think I can make better. I get that from living with my grandfather back in the '50's. He had to cus everything he bought and then take a file and soldering iron to it to get it the way he likes it.

Thanks for your comments, they're well appreciated.

Joe

IMHO, it is truly sad. The castings are there. They are probably good castings as well. It is the lack if assy. skills that kills the deal. My L&R rebuilder will tell of crocked drilled and tapped holes,improper hardening, etc. I know that to make money selling locks, you have to have a good product. The basic product is good, but they keep shooting themselves in the foot over not being able to drill and tap in alignment. Another sad thing is that they don't/won't listen to their customers. We NEED another lock company out there. We need a scource of left and right locks. I only wish they would hear the cries of their customers and respond to it.

I have talked to several very knowledgeable people about L&R's QC issues. They all say that the current owners are nice folks who don't have a background machining. I guess they don't understand the importance of precision in assembly.

Bob Roller's contact info;
Bob Roller (304) 429-2454 1805 Monroe Ave, Huntington, WV 25704

Bob's locks aren't cheap, but the ones I have seen are top quality. IMHO, they are even better than a stock Chambers...and that's saying something.

God bless

J.D. said:
I have talked to several very knowledgeable people about L&R's QC issues. They all say that the current owners are nice folks who don't have a background machining. I guess they don't understand the importance of precision in assembly.

Bob Roller's contact info;
Bob Roller (304) 429-2454 1805 Monroe Ave, Huntington, WV 25704

Bob's locks aren't cheap, but the ones I have seen are top quality. IMHO, they are even better than a stock Chambers...and that's saying something.

God bless
I her that. From what I read on the Cunard site, Bob Roller get 50% more for a "rebuild" of an English bar lock than L&R or Davis resellers get for a new one. The one place I saw one of his locks listed for sale was on the Dixie site and they wanted $375 for it!!!! But in most cases, you get what you pay for.

That doesn't surprise me from Dixie. Several years ago I called them & they wanted $ 145. plus shipping for a Chambers Deluxe Siler when you could buy it for under $100. from any other dealer......... :shake:

Birddog6 said:
That doesn't surprise me from Dixie. Several years ago I called them & they wanted $ 145. plus shipping for a Chambers Deluxe Siler when you could buy it for under $100. from any other dealer......... :shake:

I here ya.

I don't know what Roller locks are going for now, but a year ago the English lock made from L&R externals was right at $200, directly from Roller.

IMHO, if you want the best price and service, go directly to the source.

God bless

J.D. said:
Birddog6 said:

I here ya.

I don't know what Roller locks are going for now, but a year ago the English lock made from L&R externals was right at $200, directly from Roller.

IMHO, if you want the best price and service, go directly to the source.

God bless
Although that is over twice what the original L&R costs, that is much more palatable than $375!!!! :grin:

Well........... They list a L&R flintlock for $121. plus shipping.. Then ya add in about $60 worth of new parts to make it work...... 2 weeks of work getting it to work correctly & consistently, not counting allot of cussing & bitchin & raising H with yerself for buying the dang thing in the first place......
You know........ $200 for a Bob Roller lock don't sound so bad at all to me, especially if ya can put it on & it works !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Birddog6 said:
Well........... They list a L&R flintlock for $121. plus shipping.. Then ya add in about $60 worth of new parts to make it work...... 2 weeks of work getting it to work correctly & consistently, not counting allot of cussing & bitchin & raising H with yerself for buying the dang thing in the first place......
You know........ $200 for a Bob Roller lock don't sound so bad at all to me, especially if ya can put it on & it works !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Roller locks are pure custom with all of the fine tuning already done. I haven't seen a better lock made by anyone. I have seen a coupla Harold Robbins locks that were every bit as good as the roller, though. Mr. Robbins has gone to that big shooting range in the sky, so custom quality locks equal to the Roller are few and far between.

God bless

Latest posts

Back