• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What is the trend of 'cap' after 'flint'...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got rid of all of the factory cap locks but one, a Seneca because its light for the kids and women, I have a custome cap lock I built for the wife, the rest are flint.

Roundball:

Am I right? Your thinking of giving it away?

If not, this whole post sounds like a sales pitch to me and as we all know, making an offer to sell things outside the Classified Ad section is against the rules of the forum.

Just thinking... :hmm:

If it's a nice custom gun, convert it. If it's just a factory gun, sell it, give it away or donate it to a youth shooting program and never look back.
My experience from by gone days.

I'd sell it. I have one cap gun (other than revolvers)in the house and it's an original SXS that is going to be converted back to flint "one day". :wink:
For the most part I skipped the cap lock era all together. Went from flint into black powder cartridge guns.
But yes, I'd sell it and turn that money into something you will enjoy more.
But, I don't sell guns just because I don't use them. I have lots I don't use, many that I have never fired in years, some I have never fired. But, if I "like" them I don't part with them.

I believe I have about a dozen or so cap pistols and I still look around and aquire more as I se fit. I only buy one if it speaks to me wether it be steel or brass. I have used all my pistols at one time or another in civil war reeenacting.
Now onto ling guns. I only have 2 at the moment. A Zouve given to me by a favorite uncle(I won't sell it) and a 53 Enfield. I am looking for a Mississippi Rifle now for my next long gun then possibly a 45.LC Henry. Wife is now getting into BP shooting so it's just one more thing we can do together. Being maried 33 years you have to keep things interesting.

Zonie said:
Roundball:

Am I right? Your thinking of giving it away?

If not, this whole post sounds like a sales pitch to me and as we all know, making an offer to sell things outside the Classified Ad section is against the rules of the forum.

Just thinking... :hmm:

:shake: leave it to zonie to think that way about this post.

My track record of selling MLs in the classifieds is that they're usually gone in a week, often spoken for in 24/48 hours...so there's not only no need for me to break rules I don't even think like that...apparently you do.

The intent of my thread is obvious...I'll repeat it here for you:

Need some thoughts about keeping caplocks after switching to Flintlocks.

I got well into caplocks all through the 90's. Then I switched to Flintlocks around 2000 and have expanded with them into different calibers and gauges as well.
During the past 10 years I gradually began selling off caplocks as I came to realize I just wasn't using them and didn't feel like I would so I've let them go, paring all the way down to a single .45cal caplock.

But in checking history logs on the PC just now I see that I've only taken that .45cal to the range twice is 10 years...once in 2004, again in 2006...and haven't hunted it at all. I kept hanging on to it all these years 'just because', but am now really questioning the point of doing so any longer...its just laying in its case to get lost in a house fire or stolen, etc.

And now moving in the direction of early Virginia Flintlocks I've sold off many T/C Flintlocks I accumulated during the past 10 years...but I still have this one lone caplock hanging around...so my question for die hard Flintlock shooters/hunters is this:

Is it time to finalize the separation, and go ahead and get a divorce...or is there some yet to be experienced reason why I might regret it?[/b]

That cap lock would sure be a good way to bring a new convert into the world of blackpowder.Most of us started with cap locks and migrated into flint locks.Whhy don't you pick out some young man/or woman who catches your eye and show him a new world of enjoyment in black powder.

If there is no overriding reason to keep it then sell it off. If it has sentimental value or or another reason there is no reason to keep it around gathering dust.

I still keep a couple of percussion rifles around. Both are kept for shooting in those events that require a percussion rifle. One is a CVA Mountain Rifle with a Douglas barrel. It was a birthday present from my wife and was the first kit I put together. A lot of sentimental value and still shoots well. The other is a Santa Fe that is used often in competition and is the only rifle I have that I know where it shoots at 200 yards.

The others have been sold off since they were just gathering dust.

I have collected alot of guns over the years. Haven't sold many. There's a very few that I did swap off that I wished I had kept. Factory repros are a dime a dozen (well not actually) but they aren't all that irreplaceable. For me, it is the originals. The guns that would have been stripped for parts and dispersed to the winds. I hate to see a piece of history junked and salvaged like a 15 yrd old Chevy. Here in my Office, I have a Ball Carbine. Not much better shape than a dug relic. A guy wanted to strip it for the action. I just couldn't see it. I rescued it for %50.00 many many years ago. There is an original long rifle at home. As near as I can tell, never been re-rifled. Sure its rough. What are the chances that I'll ever have another? Something that connects me to my Great Great Great Great Great grandfather Hans Michael Angstadt, patriarch of the Angstadt family of Berks county gunsmiths. I'll never be able to afford an original Angstadt. This old squirrel gun may have been made in Ohio for all I know. I wonder how many boys started shooting with it. Whether they fought later in wars. Whther as old men they taught their grandsons to hunt with it. Did it ever fire in anger, fear or violence? Were Indians the target, or French? Did it save a starving frontier family? What stories could it tell? How did it get that dent in the butt stock?, or that slice on the forarm? That guns set me thinking/day dreaming. Of simpler days, harder days, before the IRS, before Trains, and cell phones. Before common literacy when wise men could nonethe less read what was improtant, the marks left by quarry and foe. Nope that gun isn't going anywhere.

I've got a number of guns in the safe I have not shot in 4 decades and some I have never shot. They are not "collectibles" nor are they are anything unusually special, but they are guns I inherited and have no desire to get rid of them - except to pass them down in the manner I received them. I do have others I have purchased that I haven't shot in a long time - don't plan on getting rid of them, either. In my adult life, I have sold 3 guns I have had. I re-purchased one of them (a couple years later) and there is only I wish I had one back. I did give one to a B.I.L. with a very strong string attached - he can use it as his own for as long as he wants, but if he decides he wants something else, I get it back. Basically I subscribe to the "guns are made to be bought, not sold" method of gun ownership. I have mentioned to my bride that I may have to start thinning the herd (which she is hopeful of), but it is difficult for me to do. Just because I don't shoot it is not a good enough reason for me, at least not yet.

As for your situation, "ya gots ta do what ya gots ta do" and only you can make that decision. Remember, though, you can always sell it, but it's harder to buy it back or find a replacement that's already paid for. Good luck to you in your choice.

Mr. RB- I have had a couple of very nice and reliable caplocks, nothing wrong with them at all. I sold/traded them long ago for flinters, and have never missed them not even a little. I agree with your "divorce" idea as flintlocks are just more interesting. :thumbsup:

I rarely sell a gun, but when I do, it is to add to my current style of guns. If I really miss it after a period, I can buy one like it back. Of course this really only applies to factory guns. Custom guns and antiques are a totally different animal.

I traded Hats one time at a shoot.I've regretted it ever since.That was one heck of a hat.I've never regretted a gun trade trade/deal.The next gun always seems more interesting that the last.

I liked R T Frizzen's answer. Base it on the rifle's intended use. I really like early flint round ball guns. But I will keep my percussion bullet gun for Oak Ridge type shooting. That's a case where a flint gun probably wouldn't be a substitute.

I am partly done with a Ohio "Vincent" that will make a nice squirrel gun. It may as some time be replaced by a small caliber flint gun. So, to me, the intended use will somtimes mean I keep a percussion when my passion is flint.

Regards,
Pletch

After I went from percussion to flint, I sold off the percussion guns except for one that I use with new shooters who think they may be interested in black powder and for the annual hunting and fishing days that I help with. It is easier to use a perc. rifle with new shooters and kids than flint. Keep the gun.

Back