• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drams to grains?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmac

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Today I saw a large copper flask with an ajustable spout. It went from 3-1/2 Dram to 4-1/2 dram. Got me to wondering, what a dram equals in grains? What is Dram? An english method of measure, perhaps?

John

Agree, 27.5 grains = 1 dram.

A comparison to something current is a box of modern shotshells...the "dram equivalent" is always printed on a box of modern shells (which use modern smokeless powder of course) so there's a tie back to the old days of blackpowder.

ie: one of the shot loads I use in a smoothbore is 80grns Goex and 1 ounce of shot to simulate a modern shotshell load...80grns = 3 drams. (3 drams is actually 82.5grns but close enough)
A modern box of shells equivalent to that blackpowder load would be labeled a "3 & 1" load.

There are plenty of conversion charts available to learn these quaint bits of trivia. But, 27.34 grains is the accurate amount, by WEIGHT. since BP is measure BY VOLUME, we tend to round things off, and up a bit. ERGO, 27.5 grains will get you there.

There are 7000 grains to a pound; 437.5 grains to an ounce. 2 drams = 55 grains( roughly). 4 drams equals 110 grains( 2 x 55= 110).

Actually, now that you know what a "Dram" of black Powder weighs, you have a better chance of understanding why modern shotgun cartridges list the Dram Equivalent Load on the outside of the box, along with the weight of the shot in ounces, and fractions of an ounce.

If you then, also, Understand the Rule of "17", which tells you the diameter of the shot pellets in bird shot,you can best understand what kind of load(s)to put in a shotgun. ( Subtract the # of the shot from 17, and the result is the diameter of pellet in hundredths of an inch. So, for example, # 6 shot is .11" in diameter; # 2 shot is .15" in diameter; and # 8 shot is .09" in diameter.)

In the avoirdupois system, the dram is the mass of 1⁄256 pound or 1⁄16 ounce. So the dram weighs 875⁄32 grains or exactly 1.771”‰845”‰195”‰3125 grams. 875/32 is 27.34375 grains.

Back