• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I wouAn odd old flintlock...help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00picker

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I’m trying to identify a flintlock musket passed down though my family. I’m only interested in information, not appraisal. In 1964 my father and I found this relic in the basement of my G-G-G Grandfather’s home in Concord, NC. He was the father of two sons who fought in the Civil War. He remained in Concord during the war, and the gun we found belonged to him. This is an unusual flintlock musket as it is cobbled together from three different guns. It is not a beautiful collector’s item in original condition, but is a fascinating mystery tied to CW history and I’d like to learn more about it. The lock and stock are clearly from two different muskets, and perhaps the barrel was also from another gun. The ramrod is wooden. All the brass parts, except perhaps the trigger guard, were hand-forged and shaped from very thin brass... clearly not original. Some of the brass parts have a proof mark, a capital P, stamped on them. We have speculated that some local armory in Cabarrus County, or Concord, NC, may have salvaged some older guns that were not fit for military action, and this musket was for use in “home defense” by the local citizens”¦.again, just speculation. I have been told by someone who is not an expert but has some knowledge of flintlocks, that the lock is probably English and was of military quality, and that the barrel, which is smooth bore, was made to accept a bayonet.

I can’t imagine that this was used in battle in the CW, but the proof marks show some kind of armory or gunsmith’s mark. Again, this is just speculation from what we know about the family history of those who were involved in the CW. We do know that it sat on a dirt floor in the basement of that home from sometime during the CW until we got it in 1964”¦about 100 years.

If someone out there is as curious as I am and would like to see photos of it off line, I will be happy to send you close up photos of it. I am new to this forum, haven’t used Photo Bucket yet, and apologize if this is considered an excessive post. I would appreciate any help that's out there. Thanks, Richard

Honestly, if you want any kind of real info you are going to have to open a photobucket account and give us some pics. Otherwise, we don't have a clear image of what we are looking at.

It is still in Concord NC ping me directly I am in Rock Hill SC and can take a look if you would like. Otherwise pictures would be most helpful

CaTarheel said:
If someone out there is as curious as I am and would like to see photos of it off line, I will be happy to send you close up photos of it. I am new to this forum, haven’t used Photo Bucket yet, and apologize if this is considered an excessive post. I would appreciate any help that's out there. Thanks, Richard

Send me the photo image and I will upload and edit them in this post for you.

Mark the subject line CaTarheel Musket so I don't brush it off as SPAM.

My email is: [email protected]

One thing I have always caution people on about old guns handed down throughout generations, many of them were kept loaded and the powder could still be stable enough to fire. Care must be taken when handling them.

CaTarheel
Welcome to the Forum. :)

Some speculation on my part.
I'm sure you are aware that during the CW many old guns including flintlocks were reworked for use by the Southern troops and this could explain the presence of a ill fitting lock and a smoothbore barrel that was capable of mounting a bayonet.

You didn't mention if a "P" was marked on the barrel which would be the normal place to indicate that the gun had passed a proof firing but the marks on the brass parts may, as you surmise, indicate a proof test. Many strange things happened during the early period of that war.

And after the war many guns were confiscated by the occupying troops. As a result, an entire class of firearms sprang up comprised of guns made up from parts of all sorts of guns. These "bitsa" guns showed the talent and creativity of the Southerners as they rebuilt their lives and refused to give up their right to own guns. These guns vary from very basic and almost crude to quite nicely made. It's possible you have one of these as they often contained pieces of military weapons. For example, if you had a rifle-musket lock and a good musket barrel, you would be well on the way to having a decent and very reliable shotgun.

I am glad you acknowledged the photo situation!

Please learn that photobucket system, and get the photos up, or you can email them to me and I will post them for you!

Cant beat that deal!

Adding photos is really gonna get this thread out of the gates!

[email protected]

catarheel, as others have said. Ithink what you have is a "barn" gun.What ever parts could be beged,borrowed or otherwise aquired was made into a servicible weapon.
remember , having a gun was extremely important right into the early 20th century. Most livestock was gone and the only meat a person could aquire was by hunting or fishing. Looking forward to photos.

Zonie said:
CaTarheel
Welcome to the Forum. :)

Some speculation on my part.
I'm sure you are aware that during the CW many old guns including flintlocks were reworked for use by the Southern troops and this could explain the presence of a ill fitting lock and a smoothbore barrel that was capable of mounting a bayonet.

You didn't mention if a "P" was marked on the barrel which would be the normal place to indicate that the gun had passed a proof firing but the marks on the brass parts may, as you surmise, indicate a proof test. Many strange things happened during the early period of that war.

Not only Southern troops used flintlocks etc. I recall reading that after Vicksburg surrendered, some of the Union (likely state) troops turned in their old dangerous converted flintlock to percussion smoothbores, and were issued the captured 1853 Enfield rifles.

Back