• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wow!! I didnt know that was under there

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kentuckywindage said:
yeah i will be taking care of the patch box.buttplate,nose piece later on.

I find it easier & allot less work to seal all the end grain & inlets & RR hole first. If you do it afterwards you have all of this excess finish going over the edges of the wood you have just finished & messing it up. :wink:
Thus you end up working it down again & refinishing it again & rubbing it all out again = the last 3-4-5-6 coats of finish you applied were totally wasted, as the overlap from the finished applied to the inlets will be noticeable unless you are extremely careful. Just food for thought on the next one. :thumbsup:

Some new pics,
hawken-almostfinished029.jpg

hawken-almostfinished025.jpg

hawken-almostfinished027.jpg

hawken-almostfinished007.jpg

Howdy!

What was your technique for removing the old finish?

Thanks!

James

Very nice renovation. :thumbsup: The stock looks like a piece of Beech wood.
Your finishing job has turned out very well also. :hatsoff:
Congrats.
Dusty :wink:

Sham66 said:
Howdy!

What was your technique for removing the old finish?

Thanks!

James

Do it - Quick stripper and using the back of my patch knife. Scraped off nice and easy. Used 100 grit sand paper to get some areas clean and then i bleached the stock and 220'd it.

Latest posts

Back