• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Anybody make stone clubs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevePrice2

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone on here has crafted one of these and if so how did it turn out?
plainswarclubs14large.jpg

Or if you are even more fortunate and have an original? I started on one yesterday and am about a third of the way into the rough shape then the polishing and hafting to go. It's a dusty job but somebody's gotta do it. And with originals going for $1500.00 a pop, I figger I can make a few for less.
The material is steatite from the Virginia hills near Shenandoah.(sp) I just cut off a hunk from my 40 pound block and went to carving.

Steve, the lithic smith
p4270674.jpg
p4270673.jpg
p4270672.jpg

Nice :thumbsup: I might try my hand this summer. I don't want my wife to see these...........Might give her ideas :grin:

I have made 2 with stone heads where I pecked out the grooves with another (harder) stone. I made another from a chunk of grey slate that I formed with a wet saw, files and sandpaper. I use one with a short handle and cobble head for pounding sinew for bow-backing. Neat things to have for demos, would work very well on an intruder (especially the slate one as the ends are more "pointy"), and might be useful to train teenagers (though their heads are stronger than stone). I jokingly call them "spouse trainers" in more adult gatherings....

BH - sounds good! got any pics of them I'd like to see the teen tamer - I mean slate club.

Steve

Those look pretty good. :hatsoff: The one appears to be a knapped obsidian blade??

Are they sturdy and not floppy?

Here's more progress on my first. One side is buttered to show the color when polished.
warclub001.jpg

warclub004.jpg

warclub003.jpg

It may end up being on the stout side; the OAL is right about the length of a dollar bill. Coin on top for scale is Sacawagea dollar.

Steve

That stone you have is going to make a really nice club. To answer your question, mine is rigid. There's no play in it at all. I lashed it with wet rawhide, and after it dried overlayed it with leather lacing. For some time now I've had a perfectly round stone of 2" diameter that I pilfered from a pile of river rock at the local landscaper's supply. When I get time, I want to turn it into a plains style club.

Yes that is obsidian, would not pound tent stakes with it.

No floppy thar, wrapped with leather then bound with elk back sinew. Dried nice and tight.

I'm curious, most of the original stone topped clubs I've seen have what I would consider a very thin handle compared to todays modern stuff. When making one today are we going for over kill so to speak on the handles? Or does the thickness of the handle have something to do with the use n effectiveness of the clubs, maybe with a thinner handle there is a whipping action going on as well as the impact.Also with the rawhide wrapping of the handle, like in the picture above(original post), does the handle really have to be stout or is the strength coming from the rawhide versus the stick used for the handle hmmmm something to ponder on n research.

Some flex in the handle is a good thing, reduces stress on the binding as well as on the wrist of the person wielding it. It may add to the energy delivered at POI, I'm sure someone somewhere has done a study on it. Also, many Indian cultures were not out to kill the opponent as counting coup was the sign of a brave warrior. So a good knot on the noggin was perhaps all they were looking to achieve.

"Cool...where can you get made stone clubs?"

Originals?

Accurate replicas?

or tourist junk?

Steve

You guys keep cumin up with this neat stuff to make. :surrender: Where do I find the time? :cursing:
Nice stuff guys. Thanks,
Dusty :wink:

Pt2- grinding the groove. The final shaping is underway. Boy, symmetry can be a demanding cohort! :cursing:

This being my first attempt at such a project and the testing phase may be to its detriment, I figure just - GO FOR IT, STONEY!

Next will be sanding and polishing then the haft job.

warhead002.jpg
warhead004.jpg

And with a dab of butter rubbed in.....

warhead2001.jpg
warhead2002.jpg

Steve, the dust maker

Steve: Can you tell us, or show us the pictures of the tools you are using to shape the stone, cut the groove, and then polish the stone? I know very little about working stone beyond knapping flint. Thank you.

I am not sure that they would have used a club like that for counting coup. I know they often used coup sticks which would not really hurt a person. Or sometimes I think they just used their hands. But it seems to me that a crack on the skull with one of those stone clubs would have you heading for the big dirt sleep.

StevePrice2 said:
"Cool...where can you get made stone clubs?"

Originals?

Accurate replicas?

or tourist junk?

Steve

Accurate replicas.... :thumbsup:

Back