• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Solder for ram rod thimbles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My father used Mapp gas when using the high temperature silver solder, but used propane when using the softer silver solder. He told me- I was not present to watch-- that his propane torch was not hot enough to melt the high temperature( hard) silver solder. The one time I looked for Mapp gas at my hardware store, they had no idea what I was talking about. So far, I have not needed it for any project. :shocked2: :thumbsup:

Mapp Gas has a much hotter flame than propane and since I got the new nozzle for Mapp Gas, rarely use propane except for very thin sheet metal parts using low temp solder. I use Mapp Gas when hardening parts, Kasiniting, softening brass sheet, attaching pipes to ribs and for high temp silver soldering. Would be lost w/o it seeing I'm impatient when standing there waiting for the metal to attain the proper heat...Fred

I gotta tell you, I hear people all the time saying they can do all kinds of things with MAPP gas. I have NEVER been able to get anything larger than say, a sear, hot enough to harden it. No way, no how. Boggles my mind.

Stophel said:
I gotta tell you, I hear people all the time saying they can do all kinds of things with MAPP gas. I have NEVER been able to get anything larger than say, a sear, hot enough to harden it. No way, no how. Boggles my mind.

You may have the wrong tip on torch.. I just hardened a tumbler of a big ole English lock with Mapp.

I harden frizzens w/ Mapp Gas by heating in a length of 2/12" dia. pipe w/ an end cap that has a few holes. The pipe concentrates the heat and the holes in the end cap give the flame an outlet. A wire is attached to the pivot hole and when the proper heat is attained, the frizzen is dunked in a coffee can of motor oil. Works for me....Fred

MAPP is a mixture of gases such as LPG (Liquified Petrolium Gas) and a type of acetylene (methylacetylene). Unlike acetylene if is stored as a liquid.

Like acetylene it needs a great deal of pure oxygen to burn efficiently. For this reason it needs special torches, often with a direct oxygen supply.

Simply screwing a MAPP gas cylinder onto a torch that was made for Propane usually results in a sooty low temperature flame that isn't good for much of anything.
If you have one of these Propane torches, stick to the Propane that they were designed for.

A few years ago I bought a Bernz-O-Matic torch outfit for around $40. It uses a MAPP cylinder and a red-orange painted tank of oxygen to feed the two hoses to the torch tip.
This oxygen tank is the same size as a regular small tank of Propane.

This outfit will produce temperatures in excess of 5,000 degrees F and can be used for brazing and welding thin steel sheet metal.
To light it, you turn on the MAPP and use a striker just like an acetylene rig.
Once the flame is lit you turn on the oxygen to get the flame needed for the task.

I cannot say very many good things about this rig.
The valves are very "touchy" and hard to adjust.
The oxygen cylinder is quite expensive and it doesn't last very long.

On the plus side, once adjusted it is hot enough to do a small welding job on very thin sheet metal.
I doubt that steel thicker than 1/8 inch could be welded with it though and any job that needs much welding will probably drain the oxygen tank before your finished.

For 95 percent of the work that needs to be done on a muzzleloader a simple, low cost Propane torch (or perhaps two of them aimed at the same point) is the most that anyone needs to solder or case harden small steel parts.

Very good information guys. Thanks. :thumbsup:
We never stop learnin ifn ya keep an open mind. :haha:
Dusty :wink:

Back