• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vent Liner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have installed a vent liner and it is counter sunk a little. Not what I planned but never the less it happened. I am at the point of my build ( with an incredible amount of help from you guys ) where I put the lock on and put a little powder down the bore followed by a little paper. Primed the pan, pulled the trigger. That was about two hours ago and I am still smiling. My question is will my lock time be affected as the vent liner is deeper than what I wanted. Also should any vent liner that sticks out inside the bore be removed? I will post some pictures of my build next week. First one so am making a few mistakes. Nothing critical yet. I HOPE !!!!!!!!!!

I don't think you will notice much if the touch hole is a bit low, but I would remove the bit of the liner that is sticking out inside the bore. It will create more problems when cleaning than anything else.

I dont think the countersink will affect ignition speed, it would not be much different than a coned liner, I would not want any of the liner to protrude inside the bore, it can cause problems with a cleaning jag, and prevent proper cleaning, how close is the liner to the face of the breechplug?

What about a different vent liner that has more meat on the outside ? Some of them stick out more than others.

You need the inside of the bore to be free of ANY obstructions, jaged edges at the vent liner, etc. I use a lil oval shaped carbide tipped dremmel tool to clean mine up & I contour the liner inside the bore, same as the bore, rifling & all.
:thumbsup:

I would hope the liner is made so you can file it flush with the barrel, particularly if the lock plate covers a part of it, a lock mortice full of 4f would be interesing.

Oh no it wouldn't be. It has happened before and it'll ruin a gunstock given the right circumstances.

The vent liner absolutely must be shortened so that it does not protrude into the bore when it is installed.

If it sticks into the bore cleaning the full length of the barrel will be darn near impossible and a protruding vent liner inside the bore will cause mis-fires.

As for the outside, the liner should be flush with the surface of the barrel.
If the outside face of it is very deep in the barrel, there will be a space between the liner and the lock.
Loose powder from the pan can fall down into the lock mortice if there is a gap at that location.
If enough powder collects in the locks mortice it can ignite creating great mischief.

If the gap is very small perhaps some gentle peening on the locks pan can move enough metal to seal it off?

Remove vent liner. Take a penlight & look in the vent liner hole. Stick a needle or piece of wire or tiny depth gauge from Outside edge of vent liner to Inside edge of patent breech hole & mark wire or set depth gauge.
Lay wire or gauge beside the vent liner & see the dif, grind off end of vent liner if necessary, then slightly cone the same end of the vent liner that you ground off. I have not seen one protrude into the patent breech on a T/C or a GPR but I am sure there are exceptions.
:thumbsup:

There is no issue with a gap between the barrel and lock. The vent liner is above where the pan fits against the barrel. Thanks for the info and advice from everybody. You guys are amazing.

"Oh no it wouldn't be. It has happened before and it'll ruin a gunstock given the right circumstances"

Thats a fact, one time I was shoting up in the hils with a friend who was trying a new flint pistol he had been around ML for quite a while so I was not really watching him untill he asked me why the gun would not go off and if I would watch for spark, there was a gap between the barrel and lock that dumped every prime into the lock mortice..... for some reason he was using pyro so nothing happened but I am glad I saw it before I handed him my flask of 4f

Latest posts

Back