• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA SxS Lock Spring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob04

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I have a CVA SxS shotgun with its serial number starting with 84-. The previous owner stoned the main spring on the left hand lock down, I'm assuming to lighten the trigger pull. Anyway, the right hand lock functions good (even if the trigger pull is pretty strong) but the left hand side will not always set off the cap. Does anybody know where I might get another main spring for the left hand lock? Or, is there a replacement lock spring that would substitute in for the existing spring? Thanks for any help you can give me, this shotgun is way too much fun to shoot to just have it sitting in the safe.

Rob

I would call Deer Creek( 765-525-6181) that's were I got my parts for my CVA's Dilly

I think I got a spring for mine out of Dixie gunworks. My brother has the same gun, he is replacing the locks with L&R ones. You can find those on TOW.

Good luck! These are fun to shoot, I hope to take mine out on the turkey hunt this year.

First eliminate the possibility of the nipple perhaps being slightly oversized. Switch nipples and see if you still have the same problem. If so, Deer Creek is certainly the place to go, it is the CVA wonderland!

The primary cause for failure to fire is a peened- over nipple, where the caps no longer fit down all the way on the nipple because the trunk has been enlarged. Change the nipple FIRST, and then try the action. It just doesn't take much force to fire a percussion cap on a good nipple. The long hammer fall on those CVA shotguns is more than enough to fire the cap, if the cap is seated down on the nipple properly.

The primary cause for failure to fire is a peened- over nipple, where the caps no longer fit down all the way on the nipple because the trunk has been enlarged. Change the nipple FIRST, and then try the action.

Paul is giving you good advice. The nipples supplied with CVA guns, at least the half-dozen or so with which I am familiar, all exhibited the same trait Paul mentioned. The stainless steel used to make them is very soft. I finally got tired of dressing them down and replaced them with Ampcos. Have had s set on my CVA SxS for 20 years and they have always performed flawlessly. :hatsoff:

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate the help. You are right, the nipples have been peened. I will replace them first. What size of nipple do I look for? I should be able to find them here in Denver; if not, I am a short computer trip from Track of the Wolf.

Rob

Check with "Blunderbuss". He's near Colfax and Wadsworth (where Deans used to be). He has a web-site too.

Try the CVA-A nipples (Ampco, #11 cap) from Track of the Wolf. Other places also carry them. Just remember the size, metric 6mm x 1.

Here's a link:
Link

Good luck.

Back