• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Short practice session

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg

Cannon
Reaction score
I decided to take the Early Virginia smoothrilfe (.62x42" swamped barrel 90 gr 3f .010 spit patch 50 yds offhand) this morning and when I got the first charge of powder down the tube I found myself without any precut patches, patching material, wadding, over powder cards, over shot cards, nadda, zilch, nothing, one of those days it was nice to be alone, I tore the truck apart and found three pieces of thin .010 ticking squares under the passenger seat a bit smaller than I usually use in this gun but big enough as it turned out, I used two and put two holes in the target for the contest in case someone still needed a pardner, then continued to shoot and retrieve the three patches and reused them to fire eight shots into a paper plate after the contest target, I quit as soon as I missed the plate. The plate is pictured below, the four in the center are the first four then the lower one the last two just clipped the paper, ain't this a fun sport when ya got yer &%#@ together?

P2080046.jpg

The deer better stay out of sight when you're on the hunt, tg! :thumbsup:

That's funny...I expected you to say you had cut off your pant legs and were cutting patches at the muzzle that way.
I've had a couple trips like that where I got to the range with a .45cal rifle and had grabbed a box of .490's...another time I had left my entire shooting box back in the garage

Nice TG. When you get a minute, you might want to put together a "Rescue pouch" of fixings and stash it back in the truck somewhere. That way if you find yourself in the same pickle again, you got some stuff to fall back on. :thumbsup:

Yeah, if you were alone skivvies are the answer. Or don't you wear any? :shocked2: :redface: :shake: :hmm:

I really did not want to sacrifice any of the clothes I had on, the funny thing about it is that the day before I had spent several hours cleaning up my gun/work room amd sorted patches and had all the gear in order and a place for everything, except the big pile of balls I have to finish miking and sorting, I haven't done something like that for a long time I guess I was due, at least I know the Virginia gun still puts them in there nice and pretty....with the proper patch, I haven't shot it for a couple of years.At least if was god to get out and get a few shots off.

:v That target is "living proof" that we had all better get all our guns rifled as "smothies" won't shoot! Hah! Good shooting and some real recycling! :v

Good shootin for a smoothy with improvised patchin. :thumbsup: Ain't it great that we can find enuf leftovers in our trucks to get a shot off. :grin: GW

That's why I don't clean my truck, you never know what you might need in a pinch. :wink:
Dusty

-----I don't clean my truck because I don't want to disturb my potato crop-----IT's THE TRUTH

Back