• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Don Stith Full Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Fred

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I'm in the process of building a TOTW Jim Bridger 1/2 stock but my stock is still on backorder. They were real up front when I ordered it that it may be a long while till that stock is available so I'm not upset about it. But, I do have some time on my hands for the next month or so and since I would like to build a full stock version of the Hawken I ordered one from Don the other day.

The stock arrived and it has a bit of curl. Nothing outrageous but I think it will look nice. The barrel and other parts should arrive in a few days. It's a 54 cal 36 inch percussion. I'll post up some pics when I get going on it.

I agree. Did one of Don Stith's kits- a Gemmer Hawken half-stock- about three years ago.
Excellent quality parts, good wood, and very good feed-back. Pretty plain is about right
for Hawken wood, I think. Too fancy wouldn't look right!

Clay
San Jose

GemmerHawken-1.jpg

Check your front sight...I usually like mine the
otherway around...just my opinion based on no
facts what so ever.

Whoops, Wulf-
You're right. Somebody pointed that out to me right after I built it and I forgot to change it! (I was
already into the next rifle...and then there was the one after that. If I keep building guns, I'm going
to lose my standing as a liberal!)

Clay
San Jose

Ok, got some work done. Here is the breech, then breech and tang and a pic of the lock area of the stock.

DONSTITHFULLSTOCK001.jpg

DONSTITHFULLSTOCK006.jpg

DONSTITHFULLSTOCK023.jpg

I'll post up some more as I move along.

Nice job of fitting the breech to the tang. Looking at the photo of the breech and tang I was wondering how the transition from the wood at the top of the tang to the wood at the bbl centerline will look? Is there more metal removal at the lower part of the tang?.....Fred

Thanks guys. I had a heck of a time getting that tang to fit on the hook. It would go on but then the tang wouldn't fit tight to the breech. The hump was just along the edges of where the hook joins the breech. Took forever to file down with needle files without hitting one of the edges on the outside. ARRRRRRRRGH! Probably took 1 1/2 hours but it eventualy went together.

Regarding the wood/tang fit, I've been wondering about that myself. I've looked at a bunch of pics and there are a ton of very small differences in how these tangs can be shaped. Once I get the rest of my steel filed and sanded I'll take a better look and see what I want to do. There's plenty of wood on the stock in that area so I think I can do pretty much what ever suits my fancy and stays fairly close to HC.

Awhile back I built a Stith "S.HAwken" and this same transtion, although different, was puzzling to me and Don was kind enough to send me some pics of this area on an original and the pics certainly solved my problem....Fred

Your work shows you took the time to do it right. Looks great. I'm amazed at how much time can fly by while working on a kit. You start laying out a particular part to inlet and the wife calls for dinner. You go back to work on it and it's time for bed and it still needs more time to be finished. I'm pretty slow, but I enjoy the work.

Ahhh, I was wondering about e-mailing Don for some close ups. Not too many pics on his website. I'll do that.

Yup, time flies for me too when working on stuff like this. I don't suspect that doing this is "worth it" in terms of money for any of us amatures. If you don't really love working with your hands then I can't imagine it makes sense by any other measure.

I managed to get the breech, tang, butt and toe plate let into the stock and held on with temporary screws this weekend. I'm having trouble getting the geometry of the entry thimble to work out so I'm waiting for a reply from the supplier to find out why that isn't working but I should be able to inlet this week at some point. So far so good (knock on wood).

DONSTITHFULLSTOCK039.jpg

DONSTITHFULLSTOCK066.jpg

DONSTITHFULLSTOCK093.jpg

Super tight inletting! You've got the hang of it! Believe me, you'll feel your efforts are all worth it when the final touches are done and the first trip to the range approaches.

OK. Here is the tree I made for browning all the steel. So far it is coming along pretty well in the master bathroom.

DONSTITHFULLSTOCK133.jpg

I've done three coats of LMF browning agent and everything is pretty brown. I have some troublesome spots on the barrel and on the trigger plate that I'm going to work on tomorrow.

I've also started staining the stock. This is Zonie's lye treatment, two coats of LMF American Walnut and one coat of LMF Maple. I wanted it pretty dark so I think I'll stop here and start with the finish tomorrow. I'm using tung oil for a finish.

DONSTITHFULLSTOCK145.jpg

Nice job.

Who makes Stiths stocks? Does Don make them himself, or does he buy them from another maker?

The stock came from somebody else but I can't for the life of me remember the return address on the box the stock came in. I seem to recall it was in PA but I'm not sure. I didn't recognize the company name but that doesn't mean much. I think Petaconia is the only name I know LOL. I bet somebody on here will know though.

This is Don's stock stock if that makes any sense. It has curl pretty much over its full length although it is not real delicate curl. I told Don I wanted some figure but not gaudy and he said his normal stock should do it. I'm real happy with it.

Back