• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

peep sight question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravenousfishing

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Used a Lyman 57 peep and #17 hooded front sight most of last year for load development on my .54 cal GPR but returned to standard sights for hunting because I had a hard time seeing the front sight in low light. Am putting the #57 on my .50 cal and may work up a light load for head shots on the pesky squirrels that kept me on edge during deer season. Does anyone use a rear peep with a silver blade front, or does it defeat the purpose?

There is no reason it shouldn't work if you can get a front sight tall enough.
Longball 58

Ever try to use one of the fiber sights for your front sight. Leave the peep on the back. Shows up real well.
Fox :thumbsup:

+1 for me! As much as I would prefer to shoot with primitive sights, my older eyes won't cooperate with them at all. Using a tang mounted peep and fiber optic front allows me to keep shooting without resorting to optics.
Larry

It works really well for my eyes, but there's also the question of whether you'll like using a post or not. Before going to the small expense and trouble of changing, put the post retical into your #17 and try shooting with that for awhile. If it brings happiness, getting rid of the #17 altogether and going to a simple post will give you lots more light on the front sight.

Amen to what silverfox and ldykemann said. Fiber optic up front and aperture sight in the rear is the next best thing to a scope.

ravenousfishing said:
Used a Lyman 57 peep and #17 hooded front sight most of last year for load development on my .54 cal GPR but returned to standard sights for hunting because I had a hard time seeing the front sight in low light. Am putting the #57 on my .50 cal and may work up a light load for head shots on the pesky squirrels that kept me on edge during deer season. Does anyone use a rear peep with a silver blade front, or does it defeat the purpose?

For low light a tang sight needs pretty large hole, near .100". A large diameter eyecup helps too. Ghost rings are damned near useless in low light.
Silver blade will work OK. Its better than a hooded steel sight for shooting dark colored animals like moose and buff.
Dan

I have been using a pep site for years on various ML's and like them.
One thing I do is remove the rear appature when the light gets ow.
Another thing I have done is put bright orange paint on the front blade. Just a dab on the part facing the shooter, It has helped me.
Hope this helps.

I use the 57 peep with the steel post front that came on the GPR barrel. Works fine, as does a Williams fiber optic on another gun. Be advised that the dovetail on the front of the GPR barrels may be smaller than the standard 3/8's on most fiber optic fronts.

With my old eyes I use a folding rear "Third " peep sight to help focus the front and rear sight. For shots with plenty of light I use the "peep" for other shots I fold it out of the way.It can easily be removed for competition since it simply helps focus the regular sights and doesn't have to be perfectly aligned.

For years on suppository guns I used peep sights. On the front sight I would take a fine file and carefully dress the bead to about a 45 degree back angle. This would pick up overhead light, even in dark woods, and reflect it rearward to make it stand out better. I used to remove the disk and use the ring only. Very fast sight and accurate at woods ranges. Good smoke, Ron in FL

Thanks for the replies. Already have the blade sight on the .50cal so I may as well try it. Dont really want tuse fiber optics, but at some point that may be a solution

Peep and post is damned accurate. Can imagine peep and fiber dotto be great. Peep would have saved a miss for me this season when I leveled the front blade with the ghost on the rear sight (shoots about 6" high at 50 that way).

When shooting animal targets with Any Metalic Sight (AMS) rules, I had a cross hair insert in my Redfield Olympic front sight and a Redfield Olympic rear peep.

Base for the front sight stayed on the old full stock Hawken. Base is a little shorter than the front blade and the Olympic fits higher. The rear was mounted with 2 screws thru a bar. Screw holes were plugged when shooting fixed non adjustable open sights.

Seems at every shoot someone would ask to look thru this arrangement and declare it should be illegal. But several managed to put together a similar arrangement.

TC

i also had to go to peep sight.bad eyes.

i bought the one from RMCSPORTS .

its v-peep.

it mounts in same spot as your orginal one but i did not like it there.

i had gunsmith mount it back in front of my frizzen on my hawkins .50 cal.
www.rmcsports.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered the RMC V Peep sight to try out on my TC muzzleloader. The sight is constructed from aluminum and the windage and elevation adjustments are made using tiny allen head screws ”“ the necessary allen head wrenches were provided along with the sight. The aluminum V Peep sight just didn’t look right or give me a comfortable feeling since it is secured onto the barrel with only a single screw, unlike the 2 screws on the original TC rear sight. On the range, I noticed that the windage and elevation screw heads started to round out with making repeated adjustments.

I have had much better success with Marble sights. They are constructed from steel and offer easier windage and elevation adjustments over the V Peep. Marble offers models in the v blade as well as peep sight versions. Prices of the Marble sight were comparable to that of the V Peep.

Refer to the below URLs for more info.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=26668&title=#specs
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=16738&title=#20 UNIVERSAL REAR SIGHT

it does look better than RMC but i am happy.

i moved mine back in front of frizzen,still blurry on rear but i can see front sight well.

when it was out in front ,i had hard time seeing the front sight but moving it back, it has a big hole and i need that for deer hunting.

doc623 said:
I have been using a pep site for years on various ML's and like them.
One thing I do is remove the rear appature when the light gets ow.
Another thing I have done is put bright orange paint on the front blade. Just a dab on the part facing the shooter, It has helped me.
Hope this helps.

I tried the remove the eyecup thing and could not really find the little "ghost ring" that was the threaded hole. I drilled one eyecup till I got a hole I could see through the eyecup is big enough to make sure you find the aperture. I like an eyecup at least a 1/2" in diameter with a hole about .100". Would have to plug gauge mine to remember what I drilled it to, its been awhile.

Dan

Looks like a good sight but looks like its for a round barrel.Do they have sights to fit octagon barrel?

mmarke said:
I ordered the RMC V Peep sight to try out on my TC muzzleloader. The sight is constructed from aluminum and the windage and elevation adjustments are made using tiny allen head screws ”“ the necessary allen head wrenches were provided along with the sight. The aluminum V Peep sight just didn’t look right or give me a comfortable feeling since it is secured onto the barrel with only a single screw, unlike the 2 screws on the original TC rear sight. On the range, I noticed that the windage and elevation screw heads started to round out with making repeated adjustments.

I have had much better success with Marble sights. They are constructed from steel and offer easier windage and elevation adjustments over the V Peep. Marble offers models in the v blade as well as peep sight versions. Prices of the Marble sight were comparable to that of the V Peep.

Refer to the below URLs for more info.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=26668&title=#specs
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=16738&title=#20 UNIVERSAL REAR SIGHT

after moving my v-peep rear sight back to frizzen, i now have nice hole for deer hunting,real nice peep.

RMC said they could make me a smaller hole for rear for target.

only thing is i would have to change out rear sight which is not a biggy, just loosen screw and slide in new sight.

anyone have another idea how to make hole smaller without having another sight made.

:) My son wins competitions with that exact same set-up! A "57" on the back and the regular front blade on the Lyman trade rifle. His over-the-log targets the last two years won filet mignon, and I've seen him cut strings at our novelty shoots :thumbsup: .

I've offered to put the globe on the front, but he said, "Dad, I'm already having fun winning, so just keep that globe in the drawer for now!"

What more can I say?

Dave

Latest posts

Back