• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Flintlock Suggestion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoche117

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Any make/model suggestions for a first time flintlock? The customs I looked at could take up to a year to make and I'd like something to familiarize myself with in the meantime. All of my T/C percussions have served me well although I notice some forum members aren't crazy about T/C's products. A Traditions kind of scares me after reading about the lawdsuit for one that blew up in some guys face. Suggestions on where to get a moderately priced starter? :confused:

A real good recommendation is to go with Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading where you get your choice of a rifle or a fowler. The reason their kits get recommended for a first-time builder is because they have many things already done, such as drilling for the lock bolt and the butt plates are already fitted. Another good start would be to get a gun that is in-the-white from the same folks. Those are already assembed and they could be fired but the metal and wood still needs to be finished. Then, when you're done, you should have a gun that is really worth having.

Old School 117 said:
Any make/model suggestions for a first time flintlock? The customs I looked at could take up to a year to make and I'd like something to familiarize myself with in the meantime. All of my T/C percussions have served me well although I notice some forum members aren't crazy about T/C's products. A Traditions kind of scares me after reading about the lawdsuit for one that blew up in some guys face. Suggestions on where to get a moderately priced starter? :confused:
There are some who disdain mass produced MLs in general, and there are some who disdain the T/C Hawken because T/C decided to call it a Hawken. Now, putting all that aside and looking at the stated purpose of your post, the T/C Hawken Flintlock is an excellent quality, affordable reliable Flintlock.

TC redesigned / significantly improved its Flint lock assembly and vent liner in the late 90’s and they are outstanding. As one reference, I’ve been shooting/hunting TC Flintlocks for about 10 years now...have them with TC or GM Flint rifle barrels in .40/.45/.50/.54/.58/.62cals and Flint smoothbore barrels in .54cal(.28ga) and .62cal(.20ga).

Tom Fuller ¾” black English flints work the best of any I’ve tried in TC locks, I use Goex 4F for prime, Goex 3F main, ignition seems like its instantaneous. Photo below is GM's .58cal Flint barrel in a Hawken stock.

Try the Lyman GPR flint kit or finished gun.

Hey Roundball, where do you get those Tom Fuller flints?

go with the GPR in flint! build it, shoot it, and enjoy! and there are trigger and lock upgrades. but shoot for a while first! the pic is my GPR kit! i have other "high dollar guns" gut i love my GPR!
GPR001.jpg

Hey Old School.
Just my 2 cents here, as until last week I was in the same boat. All my ML's were T/C cap locks. I still have them, and like them a lot.

For my first Flinter, I wanted the best I could get for my money, but really did not know what I wanted. For me I was gonna have to see it. I found a gun in white that I thought I could finish, and I liked the way it looked (via pics on the web). I orderd it. For me it was a big mistake. The workmanship on the rifle was very poor, even though I ordered it from a vender recomended on this site. I boxed it up, just hours after getting it, and sent it back as soon as I was able. I would have been able to finish the gun, but the work that was already there, was just terrible.

I have been lucky enuff to make some friends here, and one of them introduced me to a gentleman in my area, who has been building guns since the early 70's. He does not sell to the public or take orders, but was willing to part with a rifle, as he does not shoot his much any more. I was able to purchase 2 rifles from him, and I could not be happier.

I am telling you this short story to impress upon you to be patient. Look around and see whats out there. I will never try buying another muzzleloader with out seeing, and handeling it first. I wanted a custom gun, as I want to build my own rifle some day, and I now have 2 fantastic examples of how to do it.

If I was going thru this again, I would take the time to look around, and drive out to see what I was looking to buy. You will not regret the time spent looking for that magic rifle that catches your eye. Make some friends on this web site. Listen to thier advice, and make your first purchase count, just like you make your shots count. If you are intersested in building a gun, I would look for a well cared for, used, custom gun. Just be sure to take your time and know what you are buying. :thumbsup:

Roundball would be a good person to listen to on T/C product and you could get a Green Mountain barrel and lock from L&R or T/C to get started.That way you can take the plung and only spend around 400.00 or less. Now if you want to stear clear of that and go for something different there are several people to look at TVM, Mike Brooks, Caywood, and sitting fox just to name a few vendors and people that put out good stuff. I have a Caywood and really like the gun, you just need to look around and find what you like.

Like they said, Roundball is the T/C guru. About a month ago, I priced a new flint lock and barrel direct from T/C to convert one of my cap guns. The price was $135.00 for the lock and $190.00 for the barrel. As it turned out, I bought a T/C Hawken .50 cal flint kit, untouched, NIB with the receipt from 1980, for $125.00. The lock fit perfectly as did the barrel, not even a touch of fitting required. T/C replaced the lock with the updated one at no charge. T/C guns are excellent and the company is outstanding to deal with.

I have a T/C Renegade flintlock that was given to me by my Dad in 1983. I changed the barrel a couple years later with a T/C 1/66 twist barrel from Fox Ridge Outfitters. Other than that, it is still the same gun. I use 4F in the pan, 2F in the barrel, and like Roundball posted, ignition is instantaneous. T/C has been around for awhile, good quality, can find parts anywhere, affordable and has a proven record with their warranty department. If you find that you do not like the gun or decide sell it to raise funds for something else, there is no lack of people willing to take it off your hands. Check out the prices for T/C components on ebay.

Brian

where about did u hear abouts this accident with traditions?
i own one and im wondering what happened?

I wouldn't not buy a particular product because there has been some problems with them. Thats like saying don't buy any Corvettes because one had a motor catch fire. I think some people might just get that bad apple or they misproperly have used it. If i were you id build a really good one! :thumbsup:

"
I wouldn't not buy a particular product because there has been some problems with them. Thats like saying don't buy any Corvettes because one had a motor catch fire."

Now and then we find a builder or vendor of ML's that has a motor fire on a regular basis, these are often best left out of ones buying experiences untill they have the problem under control.These forums are a good source of quality control information, as with anything the complaints need be studied carefull to insure that all sides of an issue/issues are considered.

Absolutely! Im saying just in general everybody company out there im sure has had atleast one or two bad guns produced but i dont believe you can completely rule them out because of that.. If thats the case then i bet every company would be out of business. But i do see his concern with the Tradition gun blowing up because i too was concerned when i seen some of the CVA's blowing up.

I didn't mean to bash Tradtitions muzzleloaders. I haven't owned any and was seriously considering their Penn rifle until I read a blurb on the accident. That left me with a sour belly so I decided to inquire on this forum to see if any had similar problems. :v

My Traditions PA didn't blow up.

It's just not worth !#%!&!

I wish it did blow up!

TR

i will say that mine did not aswell, explode. but im am still interested in this other exploding gun that was referenced here. :hmm: :hmm:

mykeal said:
Old School 117 said:
...reading about the lawdsuit for one that blew up in some guys face...
Can anyone provide a reference to this lawsuit?

I'm curious too. The only time I have heard of guns blowing up is if someone was using smokeless powder or there was an obstruction in the barrel.

I saw the drum let go on a CVA Pennsylvania one time but that was just a fluke. The drum itself broke off and went flying across the firing line. It was a new rifle and the fellow was not stoking it up with heavy loads. It was CVA's drum that goes through the breech. It broke off pretty much even with the barrel. There must have been a flaw in the metal that wasn't picked up when the rifle was built.

Although I consider Traditions guns to have a little less quality than the guns made in Italy or the U.S.A. I've always considered them to be safe.

The only blow ups I've heard about them was the result of the shooter using smokeless powder in them and smokeless powder will blow up almost any traditional muzzleloader.

It's interesting how some story about a muzzleloader blowing up that doesn't tell everything about what happened suddenly becomes a "true" story about the dangers of using black powder in a muzzleloader. I guess that is just human nature.

Anyway, I wouldn't be overly concerned about Traditions guns blowing up as long as I was using real black powder and I was using the kind of powder loads we tell folks to use on this forum.

Back