• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58cal Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Infantryboots

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about using my 58cal Enfield Two Band next season for Whitetail What should I start with when working up a load?

William

My NC deer hunting is in fairly thick hardwoods with the typical shot being 25-50 yards so I settled on a mid-range load in a GM 1:70" Flint barrel:

100grns Goex 2F
Oxyoke prelubed wad
.020" pillow ticking
Hornady .570" ball

Infantryboots said:
I have not decided on round ball or mini. Suggestions will be appreciated.

I am personally a fan of the connical style bullet BUT I think the beauty of the larger calibur would be to have confidance in a PRB.
Just work a load that will give you 3" groups at 100 yards and THAT sould be a GREAT deer load.

I have a 58 Hawken.

The two loads that I have used are

100 Grains FFG Goex with a .015 Patch with mink Tallow and .575 Ball.

I shot a big buck with this load this year, went in his throat, Heart, Lungs, Liver and stuck in his guts. 23" of Penetration.

120 Grains FFG Goex Express with Fiber wad, then .015 Patch lubed with mink tallow and a .575 Ball.

Very accurate, but no kills with it yet.

HH

I didn't have a lot of time to work up a load in my .58 this year, so I'm on the lower end compared to the other guys. I hunted with .570 ball, a .018 patch over 80gr of FFg. I was getting one ragged hole at 50 yds so I didn't worry too much about the power.
You've got time to play now, so start low and take it up to see what your rifle likes. I'm going to do the same thing this summer.

Ive been using 105 grains Goex FFG,.570 hornady ball ,.018 pilow ticking with mink oil lube for hunting out of my Green Mountain .58. Its pretty accurate.

Back