• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Day Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Cade

36 Cal.
Reaction score
here's another day horn i just finished for rebecca parker. i hand forged a staple and put a small twist in it while i was working on it. i handmade the brass stopper chain. i also scrimshawed a porcupine on the side to connect rebecca's quill work to her new blackpowder hobby. enjoy!

RParker2.jpg

RParker1.jpg

You really captured that Early American folk art style on the scrim...

me like! :bow:

Beautiful horn.

I wonder how many horns made back in the day had "her" horn. Not trying to be nit-picky, just curious as to how many women owned horns. I am guessing a lot of widows and wives hunted out of necessity, but did they have matching his and hers horns? :hmm:

Fabucci

I could not see the staple well in the pictures, but the rest of the horn is outstanding. Very nice work on the scrimshaw work. I am sure she will be proud to own it. I fear she may be afraid of marring your art by actually using it in the field.

May I ask, how long is the horn? Is it all one piece, or did you combine two horns? And how much powder does it hold?

My idea of a small hunting horn or "day horn" is one I can fit in the back pocket of my jeans, and will hold about enough powder for 10-15 shots for whatever gun I may use. With larger caliber guns, I cut that requirement down to 3-5 shots, since they are most likely to be used for hunting big game, like deer.

Lugging a pound of powder or more around the woods gets old in a hurry, particularly when you only are going to shoot once.

But, Gosh, that is a beautiful horn! :thumbsup: :grin: :hatsoff:

thanks fellows! wish i had more time to make more horns, but my other hobbies get in the way sometime.

fab, i don't know how many women owned horns back in the day. i do know that rebecca can hold her own. last time i was at their house, rebecca was swinging a pick axe better than any man i ever saw. wore me out just watching her.

paul, i hope she isn't affraid to drag the horn through the bush. i kicked it around my shop and banged on it some to give it an "aged look". the horn is about 10" along the outter curve. it is one horn and i'm guessing it'll hold about a pound of powder.

Fabucci said:
I wonder how many horns made back in the day had "her" horn. Not trying to be nit-picky, just curious as to how many women owned horns.

And who would have spelled it "horne"? The French? Polish? Or the folks from "Alabamie"? :haha:

Carl, "horne" would be an acceptable spelling, I run into this spelling a lot on originals there are truckloads of original documents where words are so misspelled that you would have a hard time comprehending them!( the Lewis & Clark journals come to mind!) :thumbsup:

French would be corne à poudre.

Nope, you won't catch me puttin' that on a horn. :shocked2: :rotf:

Stumblin Wolf said:
Carl, "horne" would be an acceptable spelling, I run into this spelling a lot on originals there are truckloads of original documents where words are so misspelled that you would have a hard time comprehending them!( the Lewis & Clark journals come to mind!) :thumbsup:

Well at least it's not "horny". :wink:

Back