• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Permalyn vs Tru Oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, thanks for the info on the Chambers application. I agree that when someone asks a question, looking for preferences, short and to the point is best.

When I was in the air force we had a saying about people who can't get to the point, but ramble on and on....but it's not polite to post that on this, or any other, board. :bull:

Have a good holiday!

Thanks for the information, Mike. It seems your way of doing it takes a lot longer to do than my stretching the finish with my fingers. But, you are obviously very good at budgetting your time, or you would not be in business.

Q. Do you do several gunstocks at one time, or just one at a time? I only ask because it always seems to me that the set up time to do any one job always takes more time than the actual doing of it. I prefer to do several similar items all at once, rather than set up separately to do them one at a time.

Are you clicking on the thumbnails or on the supersize links? The links give larger and sharper pictures.

Q. Do you do several gunstocks at one time, or just one at a time? I only ask because it always seems to me that the set up time to do any one job always takes more time than the actual doing of it. I prefer to do several similar items all at once, rather than set up separately to do them one at a time.
One at a time. While I'm putting finish on the stock over a several day period I do metal prep and antiquing of the metal. This includes any engraving that may be requested.
If I get all the metal finished up and the stock still isn't ready I usually go on to the next gun on the list and get the barrel inlet and pinned in by the time the fist gun's stock is ready to go.

Thanks for the information. I have drooled often enough over the guns you have made that have been pictured here, and have no hesitation in referring people looking for a gunmaker to you if I think they can afford you, and are willing to wait. I also won't refer someone to you who won't appreciate the quality of your workmanship. You deserve better customers than that. :thumbsup: :wink:

"I flood chambers finish on with a dauber untill the stock won't take any more.Then I wipe of the excess with a paper towel. I then apply maybe 3 or 4 coats by hand , rubbing it in real well to keep it thin. About a coat a day untill it looks the way you want."--Mike Brooks

A few added notes, if I may. I leave the daubered finish on for about 15-20 minutes at this step. And something I do with the finishing coats is to apply in such a way as to be "pushing" the wet edge forward...no back and forth rubbing the finish in as one might do with a BLO type. I try to overlap wet to wet (much like one would with a latex house paint, not trying to work the finish into the wood or stretch it too thin). I try to make a final sweep across the whole area as a finish finger rub to smooth any overlaps into one smooth flow. For example from butt of stock to wrist/lock area.

When I have the depth/sheen I want I like to gently knock back the finish to cut any small bubbles, runs etc, wipe off any dustiness and then do one final coat.

I hope that is of help and not too vociferous

I really like this product, especially in the newer formula (It has been out for about a year or so now.)

I ordered some finish from Jim today. Told him it came highly reccommended from guys on this board. He said thanks.

Back