• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Source for Bore Light

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splais

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a source for a bore light suitable for 36 and 45 caliber muzzleloader. thanks.

Believe it or not, go to the fishing dept. I found that those boobers that light up for night has a small colored insert that goes in them. I buy the replacement insert light. You turn them on/off by pushing/pulling up the bulb. The package says they last up to 25 hours. They come in 3 different colors yellow, green, red. They are small enough to drop down a .22. I use them to check out my .58 cal Enfield rifled musket. They are small enough to carry in your pocket. I even take one with me to gun shows to check out bores of weapons I am interested in. Cost about 4 bucks American.

Bore light. If you have O Reillys Auto Parts stores near you go and ask them if they have a LED flashlight called (Super Ray) It is the best bore light I have seen. It is 1/4 inch in diameter and 4 inches long and will fit in a .30 cal. You can look down the bore from the muzzle and see the powder chamber of a patent breech. You can drop it in the barrel and see all the rifling from the breech to the muzzle except the bottom four inches which you looked at before you dropped the light down the bore.
Fox :thumbsup:

You can see all the way to the bottom of a 42/44" barrel with that thing? :shocked2: No OReily here but I checked their website couldn't find it. I'll try local stores.

Roundball that is what the light I was talking about looks like. Same light different company maybe.
Yes you can see to the end of a 44" barrel. The first time you do this you will have trouble figureing out what you are seeing. On mine you see the rifling then a silver ring that looks like a washer. Thats where the barrel stops and the chamber starts. The hole in the middle of the ring will be your fire chamber on a patent breech. If you have a flint you will just see the barrel stop at the breech and it will look like a coin at the end of the barrel.
Hope that explains it.

Yes, I tried one of my LED lights worked fine on my 45. Could see right down to the breecg face. I ordered the light above because I couldn't see on the 36 with the light I had.

PS: the bore on my new (used) flintlock looked beautiful.

Your going to love that light. Roundball is correct it is almost to bright. Don't look straight into the bore with the light at the bottom.

when i shot alot , i used to carry in my pocket a empty 38 and a 22 cal. case from s&w ammo . they were crome , or bright silver , when dropped into a barrel and shine a reg. flashlight on them . they worled better than a bore light . h

silverfox said:
Your going to love that light. Roundball is correct it is almost to bright. Don't look straight into the bore with the light at the bottom.

I've thought about getting a sheet of red cellophane and cutting a little square, taping it over the lens to cut down the intensity a bit...

I bought mine like yours at Reaves Goehrings booth at Friendship. They are pretty slick. I think they fit in a .32 barrel.
Regards,
Pletch

i am testing the THILL NITE LIGHT.its use is for bobbers for night fishing.

some say it will drop down in a .22cal barrel, dont know but will test it next week.

i ordered the GREEN ONE,they come in yellow and red too.

Back