• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Blowing Out

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splais

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have read so much in the last month or two I'm having a brain freeze.

If a patch is blowing out please give me a quick guide on the cure. Is it not enough lube or too thin a patch or maybe a combination of both. thanks for the help.

SPlais said:

If a patch is blowing out please give me a quick guide on the cure. Is it not enough lube or too thin a patch or maybe a combination of both. thanks for the help.
IMO, the order of probability is:
1) Patch too thin
2) Patch too thin
3) Patch too thin
4) Refer to #1, 2, and 3
:grin:
Even well lubed thin patches burn out...the main reason is that a thin patch simply can't hold very much lube.

if a thicker patch does not cure the problem an over powder wad will. get the lubed ones from oxyoke

Lube does seem to play a part here. I was blowing patches like crazy with my .58 on my first range session with it. I forgot my lubed patches at home and just used spit patches. I was only using an 80gr charge of 2f, but some of those .018 patches looked absolutely shredded. Next time out I took those lubed patches with me and they came out of the barrel looking perfect.

I use those nifty TC prelubed patches and they never seem to burn through even with heavy loads and I get good accuacy with them in all my guns. I don't bother with any thing else.

Smokey Hills said:
I use those nifty TC prelubed patches and they never seem to burn through even with heavy loads and I get good accuacy with them in all my guns. I don't bother with any thing else.

DITTO!

Guess I am to thrifty in these hard economic times. :( I have always used cream of wheat or cornmeal---cheaper by the pound than those nifty little lubed felt circles---- when a new load blows patches

I enjoyed visiting and shooting at the TMLRA in Brady. I don't however think putting food down the barrel is as good as a tight weave patch.
As for cost I think a couple of yards of Walmart pillow tick comes in cheap. For most production rifles a .015 tick and some Hoppes BP+ will work. If you are shooting a radius cut rifled barrel you may need to go to a .024 Walmart Blue Cotton Duct. I also like the Texas Patching .024 bluee Teflon for heaevy loads. :thumbsup:

You I know I get you guys humor most of the time. But sometimes I'm not sure. When someone says to pour cornmeal down the barrel or cut patches out of felt hats I don't know whether to laugh or cry - :youcrazy:

it's not humor, though can be. If you can find an old felt hat for cheap, you'll generally get more felt wads out of it than if you buy a bag of precut wads.

The corn meal is just a filler, to help seal the gasses behind the PRB, just like a felt wad.

Though I've always wondered if using corn meal results in mini corn cakes? Though they might be hard to gather up. :hmm: :grin:

Use the corn meal/cream of wheat if you want to be green as you are feeding the little woodland creatures that way...

With my 58 Caliber Hawken/ Goodoien barrel, 100 grains of FFg Goex is max using a .575 ball with .015 patch lubed with mink tallow. Any more powder above this ripped patches.

With the use of an oxyoke felt wad (20 Gauge) and the same patch,lube,ball combination I am running 120 grains FFg Goex with NO patch ripping or cutting. I can also shoot MANY times without the need for wiping.

Accuracy is outstanding.

HH

SPlais said:

Sometimes it is that the lands of the rifling are too sharp and the patch is getting cut during the loading process. Lapping the bore with a lapping compound will remove the chatter from the freshly cut rifling or the crud build-up from older guns.

SPlais said:
My rifle is suppose to have something like 100+ rounds through it.

I would say its a good candidate for lapping, the lands are still "fresh" and I would say this is why its cutting the thin patches.

Barrels settle in at different rates, some in as little as 200 shots, some it takes longer. Lapping the bore will simulate a shot in barrel and the patch cutting problems should cease.

Do you know how to lap a barrel?

Well tell me a little bit about this lapping business :hmm: . I don't want to damage it or do something that wears it out.

Lapping depends on the barrel. If you have a Rice Radius cut they come with a beautiful lap very slick bore. Some others may need only a little lapping with some thing like JB and a tight jag.
If you have been using thin patches and they are burning out you may have lead in the bore. In such cases a lead remover like Butch's Bore Bright followed by JB until you can get a white patch. :thumbsup:

Back