• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lets see some of those heavy bear and game guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Yanta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I would be interested is seeing your heavy caliber ML's intended for big and dangerous game like bear, buffalo and moose.

Please share them with us if you got 'em. :hatsoff:

Joe

CVA Mountain Rifle .54cal I shoot 80gr Pyrodex RS and a home-cast .530 round ball for elk.
mtn2copy.jpg

mtn3copy.jpg

.62 cal, Hawken style rifle 42" GRRW barrel..Built by Doc. White..

2798804230063404498S600x600Q85.jpg

This is a fullstock flint Hawken I built a couple of years ago. It has a .58 1" X 36" GM barrel, L&R lock and triggers.

Hawken1.jpg

Here is a full view. It is the rifle on the bottom.

Flinters1.jpg

DANG! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Those are some fine looking guns there. I love them big ones.

I had to wait for daybreak to photograph mine.

It is a Custom Leman Flinter made in the 70's. It has a 36" .58 caliber Green River Rifle Works barrel. It was made for one purpose and one hunt. For Alaskan Kodiak. The last time this gun spoke earned it a silver bear inlay in the stock.

lmn001.jpg

lmn002.jpg

lmn004.jpg

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Keep 'em coming. :thumbsup:

Joe

8738Dsc00237.jpg

.54 Hawken that I built in 1985. Companion piece to 3 more just like it. It has killed almost every year since it was built, and I have never had anything walk away from it.

Mine won't see anything besides deer but if I could, I wouldn't hesitate to use it on dangerous game. My custom New England style 34" .58 cal built by Roy. :thumbsup:

NERifleProject122a.jpg

The biggest I have are my two .54s.

The top 2:
.54 x 38" Green Mtn Barrel
.54 x 32" GPR Barrel
P6280016.jpg

P6280023.jpg

finished.jpg

I like the wedge pins in them guns.....better idea than them little needle pins.....when did they start using the heavy...double..wedge pin? :thumbsup:

have always wanted a .58cal fullstock Hawkens flinter,that would be my dream rifle.

Cooner-
Them babies go into my mental file, under 'Best of Breed'!
Hmmm...uh!
Longshot :thumbsup:

Cooner54's rifles are even nicer lookin' in person... the fit and finish are outstanding. He is a true Artist and Craftsman :thumbsup:

This is my altered .58 cal CVA Mt Rifle, it has a GM bbl 34" long, Davis set triggers. I added the cap box as the Big Bore Mt Rifles didn't have cap boxes, it also has a poured nose cap and a reshaped stock and a hunters star in the reshaped cheek piece, it also has a silver thumb piece with my initials on it.

DSC02542.jpg

DSC02544.jpg

DSC02543.jpg

All of this work was done 15 or more years ago, I killed 30-40 deer with the original barrel and I still have it,along with several other barrels I have fit to it.
Regards, Longball 58

MEET 'ELISABETH'-----SHE SPORTS A 44" SWAMPED RICE BARREL IN A 54 CAL. & A DELUX SILER LOCK..BUILT BY DON YERKS FOR ME TO HUNT DEER, BEAR, AND ELK.

Mvc-010fDickert.jpg

SideViewStock.jpg

SideViewStar.jpg

DSCN0774.jpg

NEXT TO 'ELISABETH' IS HER LITTLE BROTHER---MY LYMAN GREAT PLAINS IN A 54 CAL THAT GOT ME HOOKED ON BLACKPOWDER.

095.jpg

Back