• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Early M/L Whitetail Kansas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Today is opening day of early muzzleloader season here. So I got up not to early as I never see any deer on my place before 8:00am anyways. Got all my gear ready to go, had a cup of coffee with my wife, and then walked down to the trees on the north end of my property, about a 1/2 mile away. I climbed up into my stand and hung my shooting bag and rifle on their hooks and was just getting comfy when a Doe and two yearlings came up out of my field and into the trees. When they walked behind some brush and couldn't see me I grabbed my Double rifle off the hook and stood up. I watched them walk in and out of the trees until the big doe got in the clear about 40 yards away. She was mostly broadside and slightly quartering away from me, when I pulled the trigger on the right barrel. She folded up like a house of playing cards. The 500gr bullet entered a little high on her left shoulder and exited a little low and forward on her right shoulder. When I gutted her the bullet had decimated both lungs and broke both shoulder.
FirstKill1.jpg

I slit her throat, filled out my tag and called back up to the house to have my wife bring the truck down. I finished dressing her out and got the pictures up by the front of my shop. It's nice to drop them close to the house were I can use the garden house to clean everything out and get them cooled down fast. I'm very happy with the performance of my double rifle, and their is nothing like the feeling of knowing you harvested a nice animal, with a firearm you built yourself. It has been a great morning.

C

Grats! I am curious though as to why you slit it's throat. This is something needed on a domestic animal that is generally stunned and then bled out but an animal shot like yours does not need it.

My grandfather also taught me to slit a deer/elk's throat. His reasoning was to remove as much of the esophogus as possible when field dressing them versus bleeding them out. He told me leaving the esophogus in the neck would rot the meat in a hurry in hot weather. I have never tried to prove or disprove his theory and simply cut the throat on every animal I shoot unless I plan on caping them out.

Yes well, there is a difference between cutting the throat to bleed an animal and that of removing the esophogus during the dressing/butchering of the animal. The bullet has already done the bleeding for you. A domestic animal is stunned leaving the heart pumping, the throat is cut and the still beating heart pumps the blood out. This does not happen in already dead animal.

Hello from Germany,

nice doe and nice story. Waidmanns Heil as we say here. :thumbsup:

Please tell me the cal. of the double barrel gun and the bp charge?

A recommendation to let the deer blooding out right. Don't cut the throat and the main blood vessel there, but cut the vessels in the innerside of the tighs. In Germany we call this "Brandadern". Then hang it up with head up, so the last blood will run out.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Congrats on your nice doe!! I've got nothing but sweat, chiggers and seedticks to show for my efforts. Would love to have some of those 40ish mornings we had a few weeks ago. Again, congrats.

Kirrmeister said:
Hello from Germany,

nice doe and nice story. Waidmanns Heil as we say here. :thumbsup:

Please tell me the cal. of the double barrel gun and the bp charge?

A recommendation to let the deer blooding out right. Don't cut the throat and the main blood vessel there, but cut the vessels in the innerside of the tighs. In Germany we call this "Brandadern". Then hang it up with head up, so the last blood will run out.

Regards

Kirrmeister
Danke.
Ist hier eine Verbindung zu den Abbildungen des Gewehrs: 500 Black Powder Express
If my Deutsch is nicht gut, it's because I haven't used it regularly in a very long time. My grandparents hardly spoke english at home, but I haven't used it since I was very young.

C

center12 said:
Congrats on your nice doe!! I've got nothing but sweat, chiggers and seedticks to show for my efforts. Would love to have some of those 40ish mornings we had a few weeks ago. Again, congrats.
It wasn't to bad yesterday morning, kinda overcast and still a little cool in the morning.

What part of Kansas are you in?

C

Live and work in Lawrence.

Took this week off to hunt and such, but the vegetation is so thick up here that I'm not really enjoy the hunting aspects of my break.

Hi C,

thanks for the link. Your german is very well. Where are your roots in Germany?

Regards

Kirrmeister

My GGGGrandparents came from Baden, Germany in 1865, it took them two years to make it from the east coast to Iowa, and then another year to get to Kansas. I am the 6th generation to live on our land, and Ranch/farm it.

C

Back