• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A bag from scraps.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a very special squirrel/small game rifle on order thats gonna need a bag. I did some horse trading with DavidG and he sent some left over home tanned deer hide for me to use up on small projects. Now this Georgia deer hide has got to be the thickest I ever seen. So using one of my belt pouch patterns, I was able to get enough for a small, 6x6 bag, good enough to carry just whats needed for a mornings squirrel hunt. I decided to do this one without welts and stained it a light mahogany which really made all the hide imperfections just pop right out which was very cool. I lined it with some pillow ticking RC sent me a while back and the straps are from a commercial canvas bag someone else had sent me a long time ago.

The priming horn was hand made by DavidG and I think it will do just fine as this guns regular horn too. :thumbsup:

squirrelbag1.jpg

squirrelbag2.jpg

squirrelbag3.jpg

squirrelbag4.jpg

squirrelbag5.jpg

:bow: That's the way I feel about scrapwood pieces. It's amazing what you can cobble up, just like that fantastic Pouch out of the scarp leather. I always love it when I can make something instead of buying it. That of course doesn't hold for nice flintlocks, I cannot come up with the skills (nerve) to try it. :thumbsup:

Yet another nice one! :thumbsup:

(and if you sold that PT Cruiser for 20K Euros, You coulda had a wagon load of barrels) :rotf:

Sure rub it in! :shake:

:haha: I'm gonna check on Conn. small game license next year and bug you to take me on a coyote hunt with this gun so watch out!

Cool! :thumbsup:

Gotta love that "scrap" leather. I've actually never bought ANY leather at retail. I always look for scraps and pieces on the vendors tables at fairs, pow-wows, and rondys. Can't beat it!

Now if I could just figger out what to do with the scraps left from the scraps after I'm done... :hmm: I've got enough flint leathers to last 100 lifetimes. :haha:

:haha: me too.

The coolest thing is, everything going inside it, horn, ball block, ball bag, powder measure all came from other people, things they either made or bought for me. :thumbsup:

Nice job Swampy, :bow: What is the strap made of & can you show how it is attached on the back.Thanks

I'm not sure exactly what the strap is made from. I went with a one piece back/flap so I needed to stitch the strap on the outside of the bag, really didn't get fancy here just stitched it on.

squirrelbag6.jpg

Latest posts

Back