• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

help please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian45662

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I dont know if you can tell by the pictures but I have not left enough room at the back part of the lock mortise and now it looks like the wrist and the mortise are almost one in the same. Is there enough wood left in this area to fix my mistake or is this something I will have to live with
S6300671-1.jpg
S6300670.jpg

I am having a hard time seeing what you are worried about... is it that you do not think that you left enough wood around the lock??

Yes the front part looks fine but it dosent look like it is "raised up" enough towards the back. Then again I could just be paranoid, this is my second build

I like when its thin back there...

S6300312.jpg

hardly any wood around the lock and you may just have to thin up the wrist a bit. :thumbsup:

Ya I am just wondering if mine should look like the lock is raised up off the wrist a little more or is it ok. I am going to try to make it as thin as I can around the lock once I start to dress it up a little

Get your lock totally inlett and then lets have another look at it :v :thumbsup:

Looks to me like you have it about right. If you cut the panel & finale at the rear & front of the lock, it will look more rased. But if you want it to stay plain & simple looking, I think you have it about right. The rifle looks much better & more refined with thin lock panels than thick heavy ones, IMHO.

:thumbsup:

Well it is... I am doing the final shapeing and all that good stuff. When I look at my gun from a "birds eye view" like in one of the pictures you sent me the lock mortise does not look like its any thicker than the wrist. Can I thin down the wrist a little to make the mortise stick out

It doesn't have to be as thin in the wrist as the one in the pic. Looking back at the one I posted I probably took away a little too much wood from the sides.... :haha:

Well now thats a better pic... You will have to bring the other side down to match.

That is all determined by the thickness of the lock. If the lock needs to go that deep to fit nicely against the barrel you have no choice...

The lock did have to go pretty deap. Is this something that is ok? Is this something that happens somethimes? I just bring the other side down and all will be alrigt?

:thumbsup: locks got to go where it needs to go...

here is another pic of a wrist...

S6300158.jpg

from the side

S6300155.jpg

Its hard to really judge what you have done or not done without a good centerline on that tang and wrist area of your stock. Whenever you are working on a stock, and sand, scrape, chisel, or saw off any wood, restore the centerline with a pencil to what remains, so you can keep better control over your work.

Right now, from the picture, it looks like the Left side of the stock is too "fat", and needs some wood removed. How much and where Is impossible without a centerline as a reference. It may be that you will have to inlet that sideplate deeper, and shorten those stock bolts, when you get this done.

I don't think its so important that your wrist be absolutely round in cross section. Many of them were oval, in cross section, giving the appearance of being much thinner when viewed from the side. The width of the oval comes off the point of that lock panel , and is feathered out towards the back of the wrist.

yes the one side is much fatter than the other. I went back to the basement and started to even the sides out. still not done but it is starting to shape up. I did have to re inlet the side plate and tommrow or the next day I will be able to finish that part of the process and I will post pics to see what you guys think. I think for my next build I am going to go with a blank stock that has the barrel and ramrod channels made up. When I did start to build I didnt get my center lines center and I think that had alot to do with the fact the the stock was rounded and as a result of that I had to guess somewhat with my measurments. I thought going into this one I would be able to make an almost perfect build but infact it is far from it. I learned from the mistakes I made from the last but now there are diffrent ones and even still there are some from the other build. I sometimes wonder if alot of them could be preventd by starting with a stock that is square and almost flat flatter than a precarve anyways

I'm working on my fifth rifle from a precarved stock and I've always had to remove a lot of wood from the lock panel side and the side plate area. I also have had to use a rat-tail file or a round chainsaw file and file down around the front and back of the lock panel, then lower the background on the forestock and wrist to match. This will make your lock panel look higher and stand out more. Remember, thin is good. :v

I made the mistake on my first scratch build from a blank of not lowering the the lock panels far enough, and the lock looks like it is sunk in.

"Everyone must leave something behind when he dies..........Something your hand touched some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or that flower you planted, you're there." -- Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451.

From the top view it looks like the sideplate side is much too thick....I favor that side for a wider wrist, but the difference vs the lock side shouldn't be that noticeable. From the other pics, it seems the wrist is plenty wide so the tail of the lock panel height could be ever so slightly increased and everything would come out OK......Fred

Back