• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New .58 cal '63 Zouave

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I'm farsighted. That wouldn't work unless I put it on backwards. Thank you for your suggestion though.I sighted my zouave in about an inch high at fifty yards and it works out really well for quick, close shots. I just put what I'm aiming at in the knotch and whammo.I just love a .58. Someday I hope to be able to afford a really nice flinter in it.

Yep, pretty much all of the musket types have the rear sight real close to the eye. That is why I went with the peep. Well, actually I've always preferred a peep over open sights ever since I got one on a .22 back around '59 or '60, if it can't use a scope then it has a peep. My only open sight rifles are reserved for rendezvous shoots where only open sights are allowed.

If he is going to shoot NSSA yours modification is not allowed. He can use the existing sight and replace the leaf w a l leaf and notch it or drill peep holes for 50 and 100yrds. he can raise the front blade if need be. but no white dots or floresent front blades

59sharps said:
If he is going to shoot NSSA yours modification is not allowed. He can use the existing sight and replace the leaf w a l leaf and notch it or drill peep holes for 50 and 100yrds. he can raise the front blade if need be. but no white dots or floresent front blades

There modifications are fine for a hunting rifle, but I intend to set mine up for NSSA shooting.

I am back from vacation. Had my family with me at Nags Head, NC. Had a wonderful week till we had to get out of town because of Hanna. So I am home now and will do a little more work on the Zouave. Will take a few pictures of the barrel and the front sight. Still working on the rear.

Right now Hanna is knocking at my door. Lot of rain and some wind. Wind not bad so far. Hope it stays that way. ;)

N-SSA rules do not touch on exterior finishes - just measurements, proper sight configurations, etc. If you want to see the approved list, it's at:
http://www.n-ssa.org/NATIONAL/SAC6_2008.pdf

I have a CSRichmond carbine I built from an original cut-down '61 Springfield. Got tired of trying to keep it bright after one Summer of Rain, and checked with the Small Arms Committee chairman about browning. Go ahead, he said, no rules against it. So now it is uniformly "rusted" exterior-wise! :haha:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Papa Bear for the info. I think I will brown the barrel and move on. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back