• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cabelas Rocky Mountain Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what price you are quoting - I'm sure I saw a Hawken kit for sale in Cabelas for $400. for another $60 you could have it complete.

justmike said:
Not sure what price you are quoting - I'm sure I saw a Hawken kit for sale in Cabelas for $400. for another $60 you could have it complete.

The Rocky Mountain Hawken by Pedersoli costs $1000. That's the subject of this thread...or it was.

Yup $1000 bucks is right. The $400 something is for the CVA Hawken, not the Pedersoli.

Thank you all for the suggestions and the pictures of a beautiful rifle. Lots of food for thought. Thank you again gentleman and I really appreciate this forum.
On a side note, did Hawken build many flinters?

The Hawkens brothers people normally think of when they hear the name may have built a flintlock or two because some of the older Mountain Men liked them but there is no documentation of any being built.
Their father on the other hand was building guns before the Percussion locks became popular so IMO there is no doubt that he built them. His guns were full stock longrifles.

Here´s a pic of mine.
The shots were the first try with maxis and 65 grs Wano PP at a 50 meters distance.
DPHawken1.jpg

Nothing wrong with it. It´s a great reliable and accurate shooter.
I got me one of the very first on the market here in germany.
But the pricing is much more lucky in germany than in the states.
The Rocky Mountain is around 700,- Euros here and usually Customs start at 1500,-. :shocked2:
Importing custom rifles from the states also isn´t a cheap amusement. You have to expect to have in the end the same amount in Euros to pay that it costs on your side of the big pond in Dollars. :(
So, I´m also not sure if I would buy the Rocky Mountain in case i would live in the states.
But I have no reason to regret that I bought mine so far. :)

I am sure it is a good gun, but at that market price I would be searching for a custom gun.

I would have a really hard time laying that kind of money down on a imported factory gun.

I know some have their reasons, or may not know any better! You can really get into a super nice custom gun for not much more money!

I would even go for a Lyman GPR, and work with that first. You can do allot with those!

Like this custom for 1200.00, as I did.

Newtoy.jpg

harbor2 said:
Thank you all for the suggestions and the pictures of a beautiful rifle. Lots of food for thought. Thank you again gentleman and I really appreciate this forum.
On a side note, did Hawken build many flinters?

I've seen a couple of examples in old back issues of Muzzleblasts that were flinters. One rifle didn't even look like the Hawken mountain rifle we're all familiar with. It was a custom fullstock rifle for someone in the early 1830's complete with inlays and other fancy stuff. I wish I still had the issue...I think it was from 1974. A friend of my fathers dumped off 34 years worth of Muzzleblasts magazines, and my wife is making me trash them after I read them. Sooo no pictures for me to post. :shake:

Don't trash the Muzzleblast. Offer them for sale on the classified ads/auction page. I'm sure someone here would love to get hold of them.

Hi Mule Brain,

this is really a fine Hawken. Where did you get it?

Regards

Kirrmeister

I'm not sure that these guns are available anymore. I believe the man that built them died a little while back so unless there are some guns left in stock, you're too late.

Robert58 said:
Take a look at what is available from Restoration Firearms.
http://restorationfirearms.com/OnlineCatalog.html

Robert

In Loving Memory of My Husband.

It is with much sorrow that I must share with you the sudden passing of Greg. Greg was a multi-talented man with extraodinary gifts. But building Hawken Rifles was his passion. He took great pride in his workmanship and authenticity. He wanted all his customers to love and cherish their rifles. Beyond this Greg was my best friend and I will forever miss his non-presence in my life. He made me laugh when no one else could. We had our ups and downs but we tackled everything together.

Greg was Restoration Fireams and with death goes the opportunity to buy one of his pieces of art. I will leave this site up for all to enjoy the simplistic classical beauty of his work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Zonie, Romeoh and Mule Brain and all for the replies. Great pictures. Back in 1978 I visited the Buffalo Bill Museum and they had a heavy barrelled Hawken on display. Beautiful specimen for its age. Definetely something that was carried across the saddle and not on foot extensively.

Now I may be pushing my welcome but way back in 1970 I bought a TC Hawken out of the sears catalog. I put many pounds of powder through that ole girl. I gave it to my brother-in-law. It was a shooter with round ball and the TC bullet. Maybe I should try another TC. Does TC still make a good product? The next one I would like in .54 and round ball barrelled. I used to hunt rock chucks with the .50, it defintely did the job. Even smitted a cow elk with it. I think the .54 would be even better on big game like caribou and such. Take care.

John

You will find many happy customers and staunch supporters of TC sidelocks on this forum.

Took my first BP deer with a T/C Hawken in .45. Good rifle for less money and it's American made. I love my Pedersoli but I can't argue against the T/C. Not sure how much the ball barrels cost but I think everything combined it will be cheaper then the Ped. Plus, if you don't want to keep the factory barrel you could try to sell it can recover some cost.

Back