• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new to sport

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron b

32 Cal.
Reaction score
hey guys i am new and looking to get a flintlock looked at some but did not feel right i am 6 foot 3 inch and the guns felt like they are small what would be a good gun for me looking for 50 cal

What have you tried, Im 6'2" and can shoot a T/C hawken. I also have a Caywood wilson that has a 14" length of pull that fits better.

hillbilly162
Welcome to the forum. :)

Have you tried a Lyman Great Plains Rifle (GPR)?
They have a LOP of 14 inches and a rather concave butt plate. These rifles with a concave buttplate are meant to be shot off of the arm rather than from the shoulder.
Using this method of mounting the gun can allow some of the feel of the gun to be adjusted by the position of the arm.

The GPR (32 in bbl) which comes in Flint or Percussion is an excellent rifle for shooting patched roundballs.

Some people prefer the shorter Hawken style like the TC or Lyman Deerstalker (24 in bbl) or their Trade Rifle (28 in bbl) because they are a little more compact with the center of gravity closer to the body than the GPR but a man of your size should be able to deal with the extra size of a GPR.

I'm 6'2" and prefer a longer pull. I have three rifles that have a 15" pull that feel very good. I can get by with a 14" pull. The one rifle I have that has a 13 5/8" pull is a little too short and can be rather tiring if I shoot it all day at a match.

The GPR with the 14" pull may be alright for you. If you can find one at a retail store, try it out.

The Lyman GPR in flint is was one of the best bang for the buck rifles out there. I agree with Zonie.
If you dont like the look of a Hawken, maybe also look at the flint lock Frontier model by Cabelas. Anyone of these guns are a great value.

:wink: If money is not an issue. Try Tennessee Valley Manufacturing, they put out quality rifles made with well made custom parts.

Hillbilly 162...WELCOME TO THE BEST MUZZLELOADING FORUM on the internet!!!
I am a Hillbilly too! I am in WV and tend to love the HATFIELD rifles or the Pedersoli
Blue Ridge! You outta check these out....
most hillbillies like em.
where are ya from?

from pa i tried a deer hunter and it seemed to short i'll look for layman or a hawkson but here to get them

Sorry, can't help you... I'm 6' 3 1/2". :grin:

My GPR fits me pretty well with a proper curved buttplate hold with butt tucked into the upper bicep.

As far as LOP goes, it really doesn't make much difference how tall you are. Some people are longer from the waist to the neck and some are longer from the waist to the ground. It is feasible that someone who is 6'-3 and someone who is 5'-9 could have the same LOP. Measure the length from the crook of your elbow to the first joint of your trigger finger - that will give you a better idea of your LOP. Also, not ALL guns with the same LOP will feel right to you. The drop and shape of the buttstock also have a lot to do with the fit or comfort of a gun. All you can do is shoulder as many different rifles as you can to find one that fits YOU proper.

Maybe I'm an anomoly, but I seem to be able to comfortably shoulder and shoot most anything. I have a CVA squirrel gun, several GPR's, a couple Hawken style guns, a Blue Ridge and a couple of customs with custom LOP's. I have shot them all with little to no any discomfort due to LOP. I have more problems with a gun that does not have much drop (makes it difficult to see the sights easily and can cause the dreaded "cheek slap") than with a longer or shorter LOP. BTW - I'm 6'-2 and prefer a 14 1/2" LOP.

-----I have a long neck--I like a stock that drops enough that I get my head down and see the sights---straight stocks don't work for me---

Back