• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SHOOTING JACKET UPDATE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all and I know it has been a while since we visited about the jacket issue but I wanted to write a short note concerning the issue.

I received a private message today from one of the members here and it concerned the two new shooting matches at Friendship that will not allow jackets to be used.

I was reminded from his note that I should touch base with yall about what has been going on so here it is.

I have known for a little while now through talks to Winston on the phone and in person as well as other Board members of the NMLRA that there were two new aggregates initiated this year where shooting jackets would not be allowed. I was not as pleased by this new information than I would have been to hear that all jackets were being banned except for a few matches where if you wanted to compete with others who wore them then you could. But it is a start isn't it?

With that said I am including my note back to Alan's message to me below--

Hi Alan and thanks for taking the time to write.

I have known of them both for a while and my hope is that as many shooters as we can possibly muster up will shoot those two matches. Not saying they should boycot the others where shooting jackets are allowed but I sure would like to see these two be very busy with shooters.

I talked to Winston the other day and if you have ever visited with him, he likes to visit on the phone. He said that he would not be satisfied untill there was a much broader shooting schedule where jackets were not allowed to shoot. If we can get enough people to show enough interest in these two that they have created now then they will no doubt bring on more next time. It is all about the dolllars and if there are a bunch of shooters going over to shoot these two and that DO NOT shoot the other ones then our voices will be heard loud and clear and what we have all been preaching about all this time will make our efforts worth while.

The jacket shooters from what I understood at last years meeting were not going to be allowed to shoot with jackets at ANY matches this year because of the 75th anniversary. Pretty sad that it is because of that reason but I think if we can muster lots of folks to shoot the two new matches, even if they never have shot any matches like that before, then it will have a big impact.

Can you imagine if there were no shooters signed up for the ones where you can use a jacket to shoot and they all shot the new ones instead, boy what a message that would be to send to the NMLRA. We would see a tremendous change in the rules next year, guarenteed. Money money money is the key to this problem. Shut off the money going to the other matches and have it all go toward these two new ones and that would be it.

Glad you wrote and I will be heading out to Friendship in about a week or so, let me know if you are going to be able to go, would be a pleasure to meet lots of folks there who share the same sentiment.

Thank you again

toney

That pretty much sums up what is going on and how I feel about the two new aggregates. I am not saying that folks should boycot anything at Friendship but I would like to see anyone who did intend to shoot in any of the offhand matches that perhaps they could channel their money to the two new matches where shooting jackets are not being allowed.

Of course if there is not enough participation in these two matches and considering the Rifle Committee members currently seated, I am afraid that these new aggregates will be a thing of the past. However if we could somehow get all of the folks who wanted to send a message to the Rifle Committee and the NMLRA and have them buy these two new aggregates then we would have won the battle.

Personally, I am going to buy just these two new offhand matches and nothing else. I know that the good shooters will be there (we all know who they are) and that they will be out for blood as well in these two new matches to show everyone that they don't need no stinkin jackets to beat everyone. And well that may be but this is not about how well they can kick everyone elses but, this is about the NMLRA remaining primarily a Traditional organization and for it to include every other type of black powder endeavor there is perhaps but not to let that other endeavor take over the organization and rule it.

So there you have it, my update on the latest info on the NMLRA and the shooting jacket issue and thank you to Alan who prompted me to put this down in writing. Thank you Alan and thank you all who have followed this with enthusiasm, I just hope our efforts take root.

Rabbit03

Thank you for the update.

Hopefully the folks who normally shoot in the events will be made aware of the new matches and will flock to them.

Your efforts are well worthwhile and I commend you for your persistence in this.

Hopefully the other members don't turn this into another thumbs up/thumbs down on the NMLRA but, it does seem that they aren't the closed minded people some of our members seem to think they are.

Again, two :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Zonie.

Would be great to rock them off their feet out at Friendship but it would take lots of people to help us on it.

rabbit03

Hey Rabbit, I plan to be there at least part of the week. What are the names of the two new matches?

Many Klatch

Glad you asked, I would have posted the names yesterday but didn't know what they were. I am going to make a call to the NMLRA this morning and report back on the names.

Well imagine that, I called and got the info in time to edit my own post!

Talked to Joyce and she gave me the names of the new aggs and your going to love this!

Agg LL- TRADITIONAL OFFHAND HUNTING RIFLE NON JACKETED

Agg MM- TRADITIONAL OFFHAND FLINT HUNTING RIFLE NON JACKETED

The funny part is the names of the aggs above will be on the trophies as they are with that inscription on them. The trophy will include the words-NON JACKETED also.

So there you have it now the new names of the aggs and I sure hope we have a big turnout for them.

I find it a bit humerous but sad at the same time that they need to put that on a trophy for the Traditional match. I told Joyce it was like if they had to put THIS COFFEE HAS CAFINE! on a label for coffee or THIS PACKAGE OF CIGARETTES CONTAIN NICOTINE!

This organization should't of had to have made a special notation that this Traditional shooting match contained shooters who didn't wear jackets.

But like I said before it is a start. There is a way to get these jackets put where they need to be though but it would take the efforts of all of us, especially the ones who complain the loudest about something they have no say in. I am not saying those who are no longer members of the NMLRA for whatever reason should join up again just to help out in this problem but as others have said before, if you want change then get off your ass and do something about it.

I have done my part which was to get in front of the Rifle Committee in a way it had not been addressed before and now that we have this issue moved from off of its center, those who would like to see something finally done, now have their chance. They have the chance to sit and do nothing or get something done in a constructive manner, it's up to you.

Thanks

rabbit03

Thanks for the update,
I think next summer when I put on our local shoot the mugs I get for prizes will say non jacketed.
:haha:

Pardon my ignorance but I have never been to a shooting competition, much less Friendship. But what is this jacket thing? At first (I was tired) I thought jacketed bullets?? But then it sounded like something you wore. I wear a shooting vest for skeet but I can't see any parallel to that. Does wearing a jacket give you an advantage?? :confused: :confused:

First, Congratulations to Rabbit03 for his successful effort to get these changes at the Nationals. All of us owed you a deep sense of appreciation. Thank you for all that work you did. It shows that changes can be made from within an organization.

Now to OldNamVet: Yes, shooting jackets, properly fitted, and adjusted, with the straps tightened, do give the shooter an advantage in position shooting, particularly in Off-hand shooting. Our Modern Rifle teams would NOT WEAR THE JACKETS if there were no advantage. They can be very hot to wear in the summer when most of the competitions are held, even in the shade of a covered firing line.

Thanks Paul but the real appreciation should go to all of us who would like to see this happen. This was not my original idea by any means, I was just the presenter in this case.

Funny this being an election year and all, sometimes we can get the feeling that there is no hope and things will go along no matter what. However that is not the case here with this issue. We can make a huge difference right now this minute to overwhelmingly send a message and to make a permanent change within the NMLRA.

It is litterly within our grasp, all we need to do is grasp it now!

rabbit03

Agg LL- TRADITIONAL OFFHAND HUNTING RIFLE NON JACKETED

Agg MM- TRADITIONAL OFFHAND FLINT HUNTING RIFLE NON JACKETED

I think that if they are going to put the NON JACKETED on the trophies (which by the way indicates the contest was a more demanding and difficult one) they should also put JACKETED on the trophies where the wearing of shooting jackets is permitted.

Is there any indication that they are planning to add this word to the existing contests trophies?

Oldnamvet said:
Pardon my ignorance but I have never been to a shooting competition, much less Friendship. But what is this jacket thing? At first (I was tired) I thought jacketed bullets?? But then it sounded like something you wore. I wear a shooting vest for skeet but I can't see any parallel to that. Does wearing a jacket give you an advantage?? :confused: :confused:

This discussion has a photo: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/212180

More info: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/218786

Last edited by a moderator:
Old Nam Vet,
These jackets add padding for recoil, plus they allow you to tighten up the adjustment straps to stiffen you up (can't bend over while straps are pulled tight) this gives you more support and an advantage in off hand. You can also buy cloth shooting jackets which just give you padding in the shoulder and elbows. The problems seems to be they are not traditional, but rather a product of the NRA high power rifle shooters. Side note: I see you were with the Americal Div in Vietnam. I spent 68-69 with the 11th Inf Bde of the Americal Div (11B).

I guess I had seen the shooting jackets on the 600 yard shooters (prone position too) at the club. Trussed up like a turkey at Thanksgiving. Why bother - just give them a vice for the gun and the skill will be in doping the wind, humidity, mirage off the barrel, etc. Oops, cancel that - that would be pretty much benchrest shooting.

Oldnamvet said:

I'm glad you asked because even I had no clue what it was about. I try to read every topic but sometimes I miss a few.

Good going rabbit!

HD

Latest posts

Back