• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Cherokee 32 cal, what loads are working for you??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Trapper

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Just bought a TC Cherokee 32 cal and am wondering what loads you guys have found to be best in your rifles?

What are you shooting rb or sabot? makes a difference in the charge.
I shoot rb with .018 pillow ticking anywhere from 18 to 35 grains of fffg powder be it black or one of the new ones like 777 or pyrodex.
With a sabot I use most of the time 35-45 grains of powder
thompson center says this

32 cal RB (.315", 47gn)

30 gns FFFg 1714 fps 307 FT Lbs
40 gns FFFg 1929 fps 388 FT Lbs
50 gns FFFg 2055 fps 441 FT Lbs ( Max! in red writing)

32 cal Maxi-ball 103gn)also called a sabot

30 gns FFFg 1418 fps 460 FT Lbs
40 gns FFFg 1628 fps 606 FT Lbs
50 gns FFFg 1749 fps 700 FT Lbs ( Max! in red writing)
hope this helps

I bought the 32 cal TC Cherokee to hunt squirrels and rabbits. So I am planning on using PRB's. I have Hornady .310 round balls,GOEX 3F powder, .010, .015 patches,bore butter, wonder lube, & orginal formula Lehigh valley patch lube.
I already have the TC loading manual. Was just wondering if anyone here wanted to share any favorite loads for a 32 cal Cherokee? How hard was it to load the prb with a .018 patch?

My CVA .32 likes a .310 ball, 20gr. of fff and a .015 patch.Any more than 30 grains of powder and it will throw them all over the place.

it didn't take long about 2 hours at the range and I use .30,.310 and .315 round balls. I don't like being tied down to one thing.
I use mine at what some would call long range as I shoot just targets right now but always work up hunting loads even when shooting at targets.
I tried my .36 caliber that I put a scope on at two hundred yards earlier this year and was only a few inches low with a scope that still isn't sighted in. I was shooting at an orange clay pigeon that was laying at the 200 yard range and missed it by maybe 2-4 inches think I can do better when I get the scope sighted in for the rifle. So I don't know why I can't get my 32 to shoot at 80 yards just fine once I get things worked out. If not 80 then maybe 75 with that small bullet it will be interesting to see just how far it will shoot with consistency.

does anyone use 32 maxi balls or sabots ? would they be better suited for long range shooting ? I noticed that the 32 cal maxi balls had much more power then the PRB. So logial thinking tells me they would be better suited for long range. what do you guys think? also what is the farthest You guys have shoot with small cal Mlers.

Just ordered some thicker patches just in case. rifle should be here any day now. Thanks everyone for the help.

I use 24 grs schuetzen fff, lehigh lube,with .017 blue walmart pillow patch,and a home grown lee .311 round ball. Will shoot in one hole @25 yards, around an inch@ 50 yards. At 50 yards and beyond,if the wind is blowing,the .32 will drive you mad!!!!! My cherokee is my favorite smoke gun! Also, dead on @25 yards,will be 12 inches low@100.

-----you won't be getting walmart ticking any more-----don't deal in fabrics----- :shake: :shake: :shake:

With mine I use Hornady .310 balls and .015 pillow ticking. I have found it is most accurate right at 30 grains of fff Goex. Less than that, or more than that, my groups open up.

Thanks for the info. I'll be shooting this new Cherokee pretty soon. I've got all the stuff to load and clean it, just need to get some time. Bow season opens on 13th and I have company coming from KY and I still have too much stuff left undone. Seems like I had more time (or at least got more things done) before I retired.

hi ho old bean..
a .38 special case of 3F and a .315 ball. lube and patch of your choice..howsomever, if the patch is two sided, put the ruff side to the bore.. "very important"..

..ttfn..grampa..

My .32 Cherokee does best with Hornady .315 rb, .010 pre-lube patch and 30gr Pyrodex P. This combo gives me less than 1/2" 3 shot groups at 25 yards and thats plenty good for squirrel and rabbit.

My Cherokee never seemed to shoot well with RBs.
I cast my own 32cal maxi-balls and with 30 grs
of powder it shoots very well out to 50 yrds.

Back