• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabelas Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx50cal

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have one of these rifles in .54 percussion. My question is has anyone done any modification to the stock. I want to remove some wood from the cheekpiece. I am worried about matching the stock finish. Does anyone know if the stocks have any stain on them. Or are the just finished with oil. I want to work on the stock and be able to match the finish when complete. Thanks for the help.
Rob

Strip it, it is the only way to go. Cabelas are made by Investarms of Italy and some of the stocks have a polimer/plastic like finihsh that you can never match.
Remove all the hardware from the stock, every bit of metal. Then use a commercial stripper from a home center or hardware store, you will have to use it several times, maby as many as 5 times. Follow the instructions on the can !
Then you can do the work you want to do and refinish it to your liking. You may have to be artfull with some stain in the area you did work.

I'll add, stripping and refinishing really isn't difficult at all. I did it, and if I can do it, ANYBODY can do it.

If you're interested, pm me and I'll take pictures of the finished stock and write out what I did.

i got one word for you, JASCO! i used this on two stocks then sanded stained and oild and got great results. it really is easy.

karwelis

Back