• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help picking a Walker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike 56

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a Walker Colt i found a Palmetto for 360 and a Ulberti for 355. I been wanting a Walker for a long time but i did find a 2 model Dragoon for 312 witch one should i buy.

Mike

Do everything you possibly can to avoid buying the Palmetto. They are, in a word, JUNK. :barf:

Hope that was clear enough. Just my opinion.

As to whether you buy a Uberti Dragoon or a Uberti Walker, well, you gotta solve that one yourself. That's a personal question. Both are great guns, you really need one of each.

mykeal said:
As to whether you buy a Uberti Dragoon or a Uberti Walker, well, you gotta solve that one yourself. That's a personal question. Both are great guns, you really need one of each.

:thumbsup: What Mykeal said.

A lot of Uberti guns out there, most have a good reputation. My very first C&B was a Uberti (my son now shoots it), and I have two of their cartridge single actions. They are not Colts - but a good value for the money and they do have the traditional style, look, and feel.

I acquired my Signature Series Walker in a deal that I could not turn down. If I had not come across it like I did, I would have bought the Uberti.

Thanks for helping me with the Palmetto question as far as the Uberrti Walker or Dragoon question both are good so i will just have to sort that one out for my self.

Mike

Might just be an idea to try and find a second series Colt Walker - they ARE around, and the fit and finish is impeccable.

I bought mine [#1816] over 20 years ago and have never regretted it.

tac

Agree on the Colt 2nd and even 3rd Generations. Quality and finish are tops. You checked the prices lately on these guns??? Some of the internet sites have them listed for $800-$900. Far cry from the $250 range 10-11 years ago.

Go with a second generation Colt if funds allow. Otherwise the Uberti. In case you missed the above posts:
PALMETTO=JUNK

Hey guys, what does 'junk' mean: finish, timing, fit-or all of the above? I bought a Walker kit from DGW way back for a deal, like $120. Brass wasn't finished, frame needed some TLC, action was as smooth as silk right of the box, one of my best shooters. Bought an Uberti police, spent untold hours getting the timing right(bolt was way off) and smoothing it out with paste. Paid $75 for it, but after lots of work, it too is a nice gun. Guy I bought it from probably dumped it 'cause it worked like cra....! If a guy can't afford a Colt, and is willing to put some time in it, is it still junk?

All of the above.

Is it possible that the guy you bought the Uberti from messed around with it and then sold it when he couldn't straighten out the problems he created? Happens more often than you might think.

Buy a finished gun out of the box - it should be range ready. Fit and finish should be on par with the price. Palmetto has got a bad rep. in both areas.

Their web-site doesn't seem to be working at the moment--what a loss to muzzleloaders everywhere! :rotf:

Since I'm the first guy to use the word I'll provide my definition of 'junk' as it applies to Palmetto. Keep in mind this is my experience plus impressions from postings in various forums.

Finish is average to poor. Burrs, machine marks, uneven bluing, nicks, gouges, etc. Grips looked varnished.

Fit, especially grips to frame, poor. Cylinder lockup ok but significant end play that could not be solved by seating the wedge, suggesting arbor either too long or not seated in frame. Hammer was not centered in frame. Timing poor, in that chamber alignment with bore was poor. Also, full cock was premature. I did not disassemble either gun I examined.

Function: did not shoot either example I examined, nor have I ever seen a range report on one.

I believe the fit and timing problems could have been corrected but the finish would have needed complete disassembly, stripping, polishing and rebluing. The grips were not salvageable, but they're not expensive.

I have no information about reliability over time.

I should say that you can get a lemon from anyone. Lemons from Colt are extremely rare; if there are any left out there that have not been repaired by some aficianado I'd be shocked. Lemons from Uberti show up from time to time; I'd say they are quite unusual but not rare. Palmettos seemed to be the norm rather than the exception, with 'nice' Palmettos being the rare case.

Of course, the above does not apply to used guns; any gun can be abused into poor condition.

I had never heard of Palmetto that's why i asked about them. I have heard enough i am not going to spend 5 dollars more for trouble. I am lucky to be able to able to buy one Walker i want to get it right. I am sure the Colts are nice but the Uberti is in my price range.

Mike

Well put. I doubt any one can attest to the reliability over time--the ones I'm familiar with didn't remain functional long enough. Mostly due to soft innards if I remember rightly.

Mike, I agree on the Palmetto's being very poor quality overall. Have owned several and inspected quite a few.

Suggest you check out classifieds in this forum and gun shows to save some money. There are bargains to be found in new and used black powder guns if you have the time to monitor the classifieds and attend some gun shows.

Some examples from this past weekend at The Big Reno Show in Nevada:

1. Uberti 3rd Model Dragoon with deluxe charcoal blue, as new, no cardboard box/instructions. $275 asking price.

2. Replica Arms Walker in excellent conditon. $200 asking price.

Back